Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / We Are NOT Wimps Wednesday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-07-05 5:42 AM
Not a single wimp on here. :cool:
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-07-05 5:46 AM
Tuesday I went out on the trail fortified with ice kerchief and held up well for 75 minutes including the 6X on the Evil Hill. In fact, my shirt and bra stayed cool so that I never really felt the heat but instead felt as if I was covered in Saran wrap.:laugh: I also found a friend from the gym and ran a bit with her. After the run I wished there was such a thing as ice socks. :laugh:
Today I plan a lighter, easier run and ice! Monday’s run (slightly dizzy afterward) was a wakeup call for me. As an older runner, I don’t feel or adjust to temperature nearly as well as in my younger years. That can be dangerous for me. :shocker!::sad::roll:
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-07-05 12:45 PM
The heat can really sneak up on you. Elite athletes use cold or iced towels to keep cool.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-05 12:57 PM
Ice socks would be pretty nice.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-05 9:30 AM
35 min in the pool this morning. Did 250 breast followed by 150 crawl pull only.  I got really winded on the pull, which is good, it means I was working hard.

For a while I had the pool to myself!! Gotta love the day after a holiday!!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-05 9:52 AM
My pool, well the entire gym really, was dead today. It was so weird!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-05 9:51 AM
So far I had what was supposed to be a 2400 yard swim which was really 2300 yards because that's actually what the coach gave me :roll: This was a supremely annoying swim because it was about 80 bajillionmillion 50's of various types with tons of rest breaks. not long rests but it adds up. This was my shortest swim this week. I still have an steady state 1:15 trainer ride to do this afternoon that I will do after lunch.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-05 1:10 PM
Forty minutes on the nice trails at the local park yesterday, and I did four running intervals of 3 minutes each, with a bonus minute at the end. My vastus lateralis was pretty toasted by the end, which my physical therapist says is a good sign. The lateralis is frequently really weak after surgery, and the fact that it got worn out, she said, means it is engaging properly and actually doing work like it is supposed to.

I had my PT evaluation today to see where I am in terms of recovery, and I scored a 67 out of a possible perfect 80. My physical therapist said she was really pleased, and noted that I am recovering quite a bit faster than they normally see, which she said is good, but with the caution that I still need to be careful to avoid rotational movement for a while yet, and to be cautious on uneven terrain.

She gave me the green light to keep doing what I am already doing, saying I need to continue to build muscle strength, particularly in my hamstrings. More little box jumps, more running, more biking, more balance exercises, etc. Up the intensity and duration as tolerated and keep working out regularly.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-05 2:40 PM
I'm going to have to look up vastus lateralis. But I hope it is the knee and not an area further north, because describing anyone's behind as "vastus" is not a good way to please the person!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-05 5:42 PM
Hahaha! It's part of the quadriceps, which has four parts (hence the "quad" in the name.) The vastus lateralis is on the outer edge of the thigh; vastus intermedius and rectus femoris are in the middle; vastus medialis is on the inner thigh.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-05 4:59 PM
:grin::grin:
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-05 6:26 PM
Posting because today was pretty intense. 2.5 this morning, very pleasant; and then 7.7 at 4 PM, 84 degrees, quite the slog. I have to tell myself that speed does. not. matter when it is 84 degrees, just finish the damn thing, etc. Waiting on DH to return from picking up a large pizza.:grin:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-05 12:41 PM
I dunno. I feel pretty wimpy these days. Worryingly undertrained for this weekend.

If I have to drop at one of the aid stations on Saturday I won't be devastated. I would rather DNF than run in the dark, I think. (Though I am carrying a flashlight just in case.)

I do very much want to finish on Sunday since I don't have that state. I have Saturday's state.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-05 12:58 PM
Which race? And what distance?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-05 2:41 PM
Saturday: Beaverhead 55K
Sunday: Missoula Marathon

Why, yes, they ARE three hours apart. We don't anticipate getting much sleep on Saturday night.

Karen sensibly opted for just one of them -- the road one. It is her 50th birthday and her 50th marathon. (And we have some evil plans that were set in motion last November...)
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-07-05 4:38 PM
Best to Both of you! :hug:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-05 5:36 PM
Oh, a double! Good luck!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-05 5:50 PM
:shocker!:  Good luck!  That is quite the weekend you have planned!
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-05 6:27 PM
I think your strategy is sound. :hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-06 12:59 PM
And the forecast is now 90s by midday. It starts at 6. They reduced the time limit from 7.5 to 6.5. :mutmad:
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-06 4:06 PM
Ok, that's awful. :cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:17 PM
Yeah. Bleah.
Up Topic Communities / Women / We Are NOT Wimps Wednesday dailies