Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursday NRR
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:40 AM
Sorry, no creativity this morning!: pbbt:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:42 AM
Anyone use melatonin or something else for sleep? I sleep horrible, super restless, always tired in morning. I thought maybe getting rid of the job stress would help but hasn't. I am strongly considering trying something to help with sleep.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-06 10:14 AM
What is your issue with sleep? Melatonin helps you fall asleep, but it won't help to stay asleep.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-06 11:08 AM
^^ This. Same question.

Melatonin will help you fall asleep.  OTC medications based on antihistamines, like Benadryl, Unisom, etc., will help you STAY asleep.

When I was having low dopamine issues from the overtraining, I would fall asleep around 12- 1 a.m., but wake up around 2-3 a.m. and then couldn't fall back asleep until around 5 a.m., or just before the alarm went off. I started using Trazodone, which is actually an antidepressant, to stay asleep. Trazodone doesn't work so great as an antidepressant, but it does have the effect of keeping you asleep, and it is non-habit-forming, and doesn't leave you feeling drugged in the a.m. like some others. Needs a prescription, though.

For OTC stuff, I used the generic version of Unisom.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 11:10 AM
Benadryl and other antihistamines have the opposite effect on me :meh:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-06 6:06 PM
:sad:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-07 6:29 AM
same here.  When I was pregnant I asked what I could take because I'd been taking melatonin to get to sleep and Dr said unisom. Stupid pills kept me up for hours it sucked.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:33 AM
II would take unisom/B6 for nausea when pregnant and took it in morning and was wide awake.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-07 6:35 AM
Maybe I need to start taking it in the morning since I'm always tired :laugh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 11:08 AM Edited 2017-07-06 11:11 AM
I don't fall asleep well and if I wake up can't get back to sleep. So I guess a combination of both.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 10:31 AM
My daughter and my husband both use melatonin to help go to sleep. For me it didn't actually help me FALL asleep but did help me stay asleep which is not what I needed so I'd still wake up feeling extremely fatigued. Have you had standard bloodwork done recently? Thyroid issues can contribute to sleep issues.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 11:11 AM
Thyroid normal in March (I'm on mess for hypothyroid), all other blood work normal in May.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-07-06 12:55 PM
Normal per the lab, or normal for you? I know that I do better at a really low TSH that some docs haven't liked. You're obviously better educated in this area than me, but I would reiterate Jen's point - I slept badly for years & years - thought it was just normal, then when I started synthroid/cytomel miraculously I started sleeping through the night, now it's one of several signs that my meds aren't working

Jen - you asked me earlier whether the increased dosage was helping & I didn't get back in to answer: I got bloodwork done in early June and it was much better although still high TSH for me, the next test is due end of July. I feel a lot better but then part of the freakiness was that I didn't feel totally awful and didn't anticipate the dreadful results because I thought my fatigue was on par for the work stress. Now the work stress is less I feel better but how much is meds & how much is lower stress/less hours at work would be a point of contention.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 1:09 PM
Yeah, my results came in a little better but not hugely lower. She wants me to give it a few more weeks before we play with the dose again. As for your situation, the feeling better is probably a combo of the two (better dose/less stress). Sometimes things go hand in hand. I'm glad it's better!
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 1:43 PM
Normal for me, I like a lowish TSH, near being too low. Anything above 2 and I'm not good. Since celiac and being gluten free my dose hasn't changed, prior I could never regulate thyroid.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 3:53 PM
:shocker!:  I kind of run at .3 for TSH.  I have been way lower, prior to getting on cytomel, but no one liked the lab results and eventually they worked to get me on Armour and cytomel.  Now I see my insurance doesn't cover armour.  :meh:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 1:08 PM
Yeah what nomad said. I fell within "normal" for the thyroid and I went and complained and when they checked my bloodwork (it had been done in Feb I think) and it had changed to the higher end of normal but was still in "normal", but they allowed me to play with the dose and they upped it 25 mg per day more and the fatigue dropped. Not all my symptoms have gone away so they want me to give it another couple weeks and we'll reasses then and decide if I need to have it upped again.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-06 10:32 AM
Yep I used melatonin and also Zquil a lot pre-baby. I know my best friend tried it and it helped her get to sleep initially but not stay asleep. Definitely worth a try
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 12:56 PM
I stick with benadryl, but I'm not liking the hangover in the morning lately.  I really need to stick to one diet coke or I can't fall asleep without it.
Parent - - By asianfury Date 2017-07-06 2:07 PM
I used to take melatonin or benadryl to help me fall asleep but am now on Trazadone. I couldn't fall asleep but once I did, I wouldn't have a problem staying asleep.

My doctor had me keep a sleep journal for two months and after looking at the data, I averaged about 3.5-4 hours a night which is pretty terrible. I'm now taking Trazadone but have found that I don't always need it as my sleep has improved quite a bit. My doctor also told me that Trazadone is technically an antidepressant but is now being used to treat insomnia more than depression. I haven't had a history of depression so I don't know if there are antidepressant qualities if that makes sens.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-07 6:30 AM
Hi stranger!!
Parent - By asianfury Date 2017-07-07 4:25 PM
Hi! I actually lurk most days but never have anything interesting to post. :blush:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:35 AM
Yep, I think I at around 3-4 hours of sleep per night:cry:
Parent - - By rabbitrunner Date 2017-07-06 4:39 PM
I used melatonin a lot several years ago.  I found it helped for falling asleep, though, as others have said, not so great for staying asleep.  Personally, I find avoiding alcohol helps with sleep more than taking melatonin did.  Also, if you have low blood pressure melatonin might not be a great idea.  I stumbled on a study not too long ago that found that astronauts who took melatonin to help with sleep in space had more difficulty regulating blood pressure upon return to normal gravity (apparently it happens to many astronauts, but was more pronounced in those who took melatonin).  There have been additional studies supporting this in non-astronauts.  In retrospect, I realized that during the time I took melatonin, I had more than usual problems with lightheadedness.  It never occurred to me the two were connected and I never realized as I stopped using it that the lightheadedness went away too.  Just thought I would share in case it might be an issue.  The lightheadedness was usually not horrible, but it did once cause me to pass out at a potluck which was pretty embarrassing....
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 6:41 PM
I'll have to look into that connection. I do have lower BP so might not be a great option.
Parent - By rabbitrunner Date 2017-07-06 7:57 PM
It's a trade-off. I'll still consider taking it - a good night's sleep is sometimes worth the side effects. But personally I wouldn't take it as often as I used to given how I react to it, or would use a lower dose.
Parent - - By MrsFRK (such a waste of an appendage) [us] Date 2017-07-07 12:40 AM
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:59 AM
Interesting. I'll have to look more into that, magnesium citrate is used as a laxative! Had no idea it could help with sleep.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-06 9:55 AM
I've got a question. I've moved to molded cup bras.  However, that means they don't easily stuff in a drawer anymore. Does anyone have an idea about how to store them so they keep their shape?
Parent - By elmtree Date 2017-07-06 12:00 PM
Designate some shelf space (if you have shelves in the closet) or  drawer space and stack them.  It's annoying, but otherwise they get smashed and lose their shape.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 12:21 PM
I have a hanging shelf thing in my closet that I stack them on.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 12:41 PM
Regular bras?  I fold so that one cup is in the other cup, inside out.  Then I stack them cup to cup.  Maybe I don't have as many as you do?  The stack fits easily in my "sock" drawer.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-06 12:52 PM
I might be bigger than you too- my cups are HUGE!:blush:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 1:11 PM
Being huge is the reason I refuse to buy molded cup bras. I don't want/need extra padding. That said could you get a tie rack and hang them in the closet?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-06 3:08 PM
I used to hate them for that reason, but this is the brand that gives me the best shape, so I wear them. And it hides any texture under smooth shirts. :wink:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-06 1:11 PM
That's why I hate molded cup bras. Big enough to be hats, and I don't mean yarmulkes.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-06 3:09 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 4:16 PM
:shocker!::cry:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-06 4:37 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:26 PM
:laugh: More like those cartwheel hats that you see in costume dramas set in the Edwardian period.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-07 4:48 PM
New advertising - a bra, or...an urban sombrero!
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 4:18 PM
Ah!  I was so confused, I thought you had a huge stack of them!  I wonder if you could hang them up or use shoe storage solutions.  :wtf:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-06 4:33 PM
I have four, I think. And size G cups!!:shocker!: So far I tend to keep them on the bookcase near my vanity, but that doesn't really seem like a long term solution!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 7:18 PM
:laugh:  A bookcase!  Maybe not a permanent solution.  : pbbt:  I had to google to see how big those would be.  Maybe get the dimensions and compare to other storage solutions.  Maybe the shoe storage is too narrow.  It would be nice to have 4 cubes that they go into and then you could just stack them that way.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:27 PM
If it is any consolation, DD wears an H cup. Small rib cage, big boobs.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 6:35 AM
That's me but I only hit H when I was preggo. Now I fluctuate between a F and  G depending on weight.
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2017-07-06 4:29 PM
All of the comments about the large cups (like "hats") have made me laugh out loud here in my office.  Thank you, ladies, I needed that!  (although I hope my laughing doesn't offend you if your big cups aren't a laughing matter.)  Just the though of someone wearing your big bra on their head...  :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-06 8:04 PM
My big cups are definitely a laughing matter.:grin: Even more so back in my nursing days when I too was rolling a G cup like reebs......:shocker!::cool:
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:23 PM
:shocker!: I think I *might* have made it to a small D cup the first day or two when my milk came in & I was super engorged. Mostly I was a C cup while nursing. Well, given my oldest's penchant for getting full partway through a meal, I was often walking around a C cup on one side and an A cup on the other. :laugh::cry:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-06 11:52 PM
One more reason for me not to have kids!
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-07 6:33 AM
This just made me think of the breastfeeding video I had to watch in the hospital before leaving. This lady had GIANT boobs, and I swear it was suffocating the baby they were so big. I can still picture it in my head
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-07 1:58 PM
Totally. Mine were bigger than poor DS' little head.....
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:32 PM
I just stuff them in a drawer anyway. They mold to my shape when I put them on.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-06 4:36 PM
My town made the national news. :meh:  A woman stabbed her husband and five children.  The woman is in police custody and one of the children is in the hospital.  Everyone else is dead.  All of the kids were <10. :cry:  I live on one edge of the town and the incident occurred about as far away as you can get and still be in the same town -- far enough that I'd never get anywhere close to that area while running (not that I think the woman would be a danger to the general public) -- but it's never good to see your town featured on the AP news feed. :sad:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-06 6:07 PM
:shocker!::sad::cry:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-06 6:39 PM
:shocker!::sad:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 6:51 PM
:shocker!::cry::cry:
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:23 PM
:cry::cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:28 PM
:shocker!::cry::hug:

No words for something so terrible.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-07 6:34 AM
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-06 5:42 PM
The plumber said he'd come between 2 and 4. It is 4:42. :roll:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 7:18 PM
:meh:  Ugh!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:29 PM
:mutmad:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-07 6:34 AM
any chance it is one of those that will pay you or discount service if they are late?
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-06 8:09 PM
Boss is supposedly in the middle of a 2 week vacation, but proceeded to send out a flurry of emails between 8 PM-9:30 PM EST which are all requests for a big case I'm working on.:cry::cry:

He's generally a good boss but I think his need for control gets triggered when he's away for a few days. Tomorrow I have to pick up DS from camp (90 minute drive each way) but it looks like I'll be getting up early to work first.....ugh.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 9:41 PM
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 9:50 PM
DH was signed up for the Double Triple Bypass this weekend, but it was cancelled tonight due to the two fires near the route.  120 mile route, so a lot of area to monitor for a long time (it goes over 3 passes each day, so it can take good riders 10 hours of riding time).  He had a hotel room, and it has a 72 hour cancellation policy.  Suddenly we are both going because he can't cancel.  Then decided to go two nights instead of one.  And we suddenly need to get the dogs to a kennel tomorrow, after getting them shots for the kennel (tomorrow).  So, a flurry of activity and now it is bed time, and there is packing to be done, but probably tomorrow.  I may take the day off then... who knows!  : pbbt:  I am not usually spontaneous, but we haven't had a vacation since Christmas.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-06 11:53 PM
Spontaneous trips like that are stressful until you are on them, then FUN!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursday NRR