Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Asthma?
- - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 10:29 AM
Anyone here have actual asthma not exercise induced? I have had exercise induced for years, but apparently it's developed into actual asthma in the last 6 months. I am just wondering how those of you with regular vs EIA handle it, is there a difference in your meds (something more than an albuterol inhaler), do you have more issues working out etc?
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-07-06 11:02 AM
Asthma, pure and simple for many years, classified as moderate and under control.
My meds are a traditional broncho-dilator pill, a Singulair pill, Dulera inhaler and Albuterol inhaler (this last one before a run and only as needed otherwise). Oh, and I regularly take a magnesium pill.
If I forget the Albuterol before a run, it takes a good three times as much effort to do the run although I CAN do it. Otherwise, exercise goes very well.
Pollens, strong smells, perfume, dust are triggers but not during exercise. That's the one time I feel great. Maybe I have "never exercise induced asthma". NEIA? :laugh:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 1:04 PM
You know I take Cingular for something else (I have exercise induced anaphalaxys) I wonder if it's usage prevented the full onset of asthma. I should have asked but didn't think about it. I also take magnesium. Is that supposed to help? Same here on the albuterol if I forget. I have noticed an increase in being irritated by scents.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-07-06 1:56 PM
It definitely may have prevented the full onset. I've taken magnesium a long time. My doc said not to stop because it can be used in a hospital to stop severe attacks and it might be helping more than we realized.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-06 11:10 AM
My daughter has had asthma most of her life. She uses a daily preventative - Symbicort - and a rescue inhalor (albuterol) as needed. Before starting Symbicort she had to use her rescue inhalor on a frequent basis. Now, as long as she is taking her Symbicort as directed, she rarely uses the rescue inhalor.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 4:39 PM
Thanks!
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 11:27 AM
I have everything.  Asthma made worse by cold weather and allergens.  EIA.  And the lung damage.  I do allergy drops.  I was on Singular, but it gave me heartburn.  I use Advair twice a day and Xopenx before exercise.  I've never had it where the Xopenx helped during exercise, but I do notice it if I don't use it.  Also, I do better with Sudafed as well, so on critical races, I may take it earlier that day.  Sometimes, nothing helps.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 1:05 PM
Oddly when running or cycling I do better in the cold though after I will cough more. Now I just cough after every workout almost :roll:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-06 2:42 PM
The coughing is a sign of lung irritated.  But a lot of my teammates get it after very hard efforts.  I get lung pain after hard efforts, that is too severe for sleep, and is the reason I stopped racing.  Of course, now I haven't even gotten to a level of cycling where I need to use anything.  It's all the dreaded zone 2 and maybe 3 stuff...
Parent - - By Mickeyd Date 2017-07-06 2:14 PM
Checking in from beginners. I've had asthma since my 20s.  I take Advair, Singulair, Proventil, and Flonase. This time of year I'm also on Claritin.  :meh:  I also have a nebulizer and prednisone for particularly bad flare ups.   My asthma is under the best control it's been in many years and there are still a good number of days when I'm on the treadmill instead of outside because of it.  Work with your doctor to find the combination of meds that will give you the most good breathing days.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-06 4:39 PM
Thanks!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Asthma?