Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Baby teeth - dentist question
- - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-06 7:54 PM
Hey guys, hope some one here has some answers...
There regular health system here is great, but one of the things I have been less comfortable with has been dentistry. Kids are totally covered, but my experience is that it is a bit behind the times - or maybe I've just managed to find a few dentists that were. :P I hear people talk about extractions like a normal thing, and I've had one guy completely misdiagnose something - I ran away and went to see my dentist in the US who was like, NO! No problems! Whether it was just a crooked dentist who wanted to do extra unnecessary work or he just want good - I don't know. But the trust is gone.

So now, kids here are covered for dentistry with some sort of national program. Mini went to his first checkup a few months ago and wasn't very cooperative. But the dentist did say that she thought he had weak enamel on his back teeth. We had to go in again so they could have another look. This dentist agreed about the enamel issue and said since he's not hugely cooperative, they'd have to put him under to do any work. the work would be to either put some cover on the back teeth - which here is silver crowns I guess, or if the tooth is too far gone, to extract it.
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Is this what usually gets done for kids at this age?  Worried about anaesthesia, I'm worried whether this is the right treatment for the teeth, and I'm worried about them just deciding to extract, which is not great for adult teeth from what I understand. We can pay on our own to take him to a regular dentist, but I think the ones that would see him at the hospital are just regular dentists anyway. On the other hand, our kiwi neighbours said they do take their kids to a regular dentist since they don't think the national system for kids is great. I'd only trust my guy in the US but that's a bit of a long journey for a dental appointment...

Poor mini is actually very good about brushing, juice is a rare treat, doesn't eat much junk at all, and he's never had hard candy so I'm bummed for him. :sad:
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-06 8:02 PM
Hmm. I'm thinking that my DS had some type of a clear sealant put on some of his teeth when he was 4 or 5 because of weak enamel. He also had one pulled because of a rather bad cavity.:blush:

I might ask if something like that clear coat, or otherwise just regular preventive fluoride treatments, are available in lieu of the silver fillings. Maybe you'd have to pay for it as you said, but it might be worth it to save the tooth.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-07 2:53 PM
If it's like regular health system, you can pay out of pocket but you end up just seeing the same doctors. You might see them sooner by skipping the wait but your treatment is the same. I'll have to research some more...
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-06 9:32 PM
I would second the suggestion of clear coat.

You could probably do it yourself with clear nail varnish but I doubt mini would sit still...: pbbt:

Seriously, I don't think silver crowns would work. Crowns are done when the tooth is beyond repair in any other way.

I would be very wary of extracting teeth. Even though he has baby teeth now, if they extract the baby teeth then the adult teeth would likely grow in crooked, I'd think, since nothing would be stopping them going whichever direction they wanted.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-07-07 7:57 AM
I'm hoping the nail polish comment was entirely in jest.   That is a bad idea on many levels.

The coating they put on my kids' teeth is a painted-on fluoride treatment and sealant.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-11 11:05 AM
It most certainly was a jest -- clear nail polish has its uses but tooth sealant is not one of them!
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 5:37 AM
Sent a PM.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-07 2:50 PM
Thanks! I never know unless I land on the main page...
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:32 AM
How old is mini?
The clinic I worked I saw a lot of young kids for pre-ops for dental work but this is not the typical. We saw a lot of uninsured/underinsured who had multiple teeth issues due cavities and other issues that had not been seen regularly. They then required exams under anesthesia.
Routine dental care is typically clear sealants. Weak enamel in kids can be common (from what I hear from pediatricians) based on how the teeth formed and doesn't mean that the adult teeth will have the same issue.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-07 2:49 PM
He's three. And I think DH's nephew had this. His adult teeth came in fine so I guess there's hope.

They asked if he was premature or if I was sick while pregnant...nope...:sad:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-07-08 11:55 AM
Dont feel bad it's probably genetic not your parenting. oh did that make you feel bad....: pbbt::hug:

I had Gavin's baby canines extracted to help with overcrowding, it isn't a big deal for baby teeth. Painting with flouride may help and if it is a back molar it could be there for years.

Example, I have excellent teeth and I didn't do anything different than my brother who has soft teeth. He has a head full of fillings. I never had a cavity. As I have gotten older I do pay for extra cleanings every 3 months instead of 6 as I do get plaque build up more frequently. For $60 it is worth it for me.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-09 6:02 PM
We've noticed the same - I have excellent teeth and dentists would always comment on it when I went for checkups. DH, not as good. I'd hoped mini would inherit my teeth...I don't know if DH had this issue as a kid though.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Baby teeth - dentist question