Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Lucky 7/7 or the Friday Daily
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:24 AM
Happy Friday, everyone!  Tell us what we missed yesterday and what you're doing today. 

Bonus:  Tell us something about numbers or if you prefer, tell us if you have a lucky number.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-07 7:18 AM
A good rain here this morning which is good for the garden and plants. My wife has been splitting up and replanting day lilies so she is happy about the rain.

I will take a day off from running today. I will I will he repeats. Well, we shall see. Not sure what happened last night but I went out to Green Lane with the Lady, ran my regular blue loop (harder, hillier, rockier side of the lake) and just crushed the run. Felt completely normal again, not stiff creaky and clunky. I had not run that route in under 65 minutes in over a year. So that was pretty great. We had some light rain too during the run.

Bonus: No real lucky ones here. I do love the bit where Deep Thought spews out the number 42 after centuries of calculations to the essential question of life. They had to start over after that one.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-07 9:01 AM
Hey, great news about a nice, non-creaky, non-clunky run!! :cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-07 11:10 AM
My mother used to splits plants......I had forgotten about that until now.  Thanks for the nice thought!
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-07-07 8:24 AM
Yesterday you missed me actually running, or at least jogging fast.  Today it was just the usual gym stuff.

Things have been busy here and I have gotten out of the habit of posting.  I should actually have more time, since with MrsTex being RETIRED, and LittleTex out of school, I am getting to work quite early most mornings.  Thing is, the guys in India have figured this out, so they are usually all over me with questions during the early morning (evening for them) hours.

Bonus:  The numbers I have been working with (at home) are mostly exponents.  LittleTex has summer math to do in order to get ready for Algebra 1 in the fall.  Yesterday we discussed the concept that negative numbers can have a square root - in a sort of, "You don't need to understand this yet, but be aware that it's coming" sort of way.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-07 9:03 AM
Good to hear from you again, and :cool: about Mrs. Tex being retired.  Does she have specific plans on what to do with the new-found time, or is she enjoying the quiet (except for chauffeuring) for a while?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-07 11:17 AM
MATH MATH MATH!!!!  Good for LittleTex getting prepped!  Blazergirl's summer "reading for pleasure", books she actually bought for pleasure, are almost all physics, metaphysics and astrophysics......math of a different color.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:18 PM
I missed the news about Mrs. Tex retiring! When did this happen? Congrats to her!
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:58 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago.  She didn't want to put up with it anymore and bought back a little time to retire early.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:49 PM
I doubt she will regret the decision.  All the best to her!!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-07 9:00 AM
You missed nothing from me yesterday because it was my beloved SDO.  In its honor we observed another Beach Day :cool::cool: that was just awesome.  Fewer folks than last week and also perfect water conditions.  It was blissful.  When we got back, we enjoyed a couple of hours of overcast skies and maybe four minutes of a rain shower.  It's not much, but at this point in the summer, anything that gives us a break from the heat is welcome.  This morning was a short, happy little 4.25 mile run.  I might do a little bit more on the TM tonight before my weight session.  Maybe.  No promises.  LR is set for tomorrow. 

If I have a lucky number, it's probably 11, as my bd is in the 11th month and my birth year was '55.  My DD definitely has 7/11 as her lucky numbers.  She was born 7/11/88 at 11 am sharp.  She graduated from HS in '07, finished her BA in '11.  I guess I can hope she has a kid in '22 but I'm not sure I'll ever get grandkids out of that one anyway :notbankingonit:  Working as a nanny, now for a 2 y/o and a newborn has really dampened any enthusiasm she may have had about the prospect of motherhood :meh:

Other thoughts about numbers:  Malcomb Gladwell had an interesting observation in his book "Outliers"  He said some languages (Chinese, for example) predispose their speakers to solving problems faster because the words the numbers and mathematics are both shorter and more logical than their English counterparts.  I found that fascinating.  But not enough to take up studying Chinese :roll: 
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-07 11:20 AM
Nope, not going to study Chinese either....I will trust Malcolm on that fact!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:24 PM
Omg, if I had to care for toddlers and babies before I'd actually had them, I definitely would not have had them!:laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-07 10:50 AM
happy friday! yesterday i went back to work after 5 days off. :meh: it was about what you'd expect. quieter because of the holiday but still silly busy these days. Plus i've needed to get ready for this weekends half marathon race. this is the race where we've been the coaching group contracted by the race. lots of marketing stuff that im pulling together for that but fortunately i don't have to do any running. :laugh: Yesterday i went water running in the lake with the running partner. :shocker!: it was really peaceful and fun. sadly she is not running right now but this is a great alternative right now. I joined the group run last night for some faster quarters. it was hot at 80 degrees so this was good for relay training. that is in a week. :happy::stillreplacingrunners:

the visiting friends left yesterday. :sad: it was a really fun visit and we did a lot of different things. they also helped picked raspberries every day out of our raspberry patch. i am missing the free labor. :hug:: pbbt:

i had planned on running a few miles this morning but opted to come into work early to work on some of those marketing things and try and catch up with everything else. i will probably be going to the skilled nursing facility after work where Dh's dad is now. he's doing not so great. can't really express to staff that he needs help with bodily functions or pain and when he does call, they take a very long time anyway.  :mutmad: he's not eating saying the food tastes terrible but we really think it's medications making things taste off. dh and his mom had a meeting with the care team about all these issues. i hope it gets better. :sad:

bonus: i like 8. it's in my birthday, dh's birthday, our house numbers, my ssn etc. 8! next year on 8/18/18, i turn 50.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-07 11:22 AM
Sorry about you FIL.  Yes, the medications will affect the way the food tastes.  My dad used to say the only thing which kinda tasted good to him was Hershey Bars, so we kept him stocked up on them.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:29 PM
Aw, so sorry about DH's dad.:sad: Yes, I agree about the meds making food taste bad. My dad had that issue too, we used to take him milkshakes because they were caloric, easy to drink through a straw, and he loved them.:happy:

5 days off work sounds awesome!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-07 11:31 AM
Yesterday included a stanky, morning 10 miler, the first five on my own, then I picked up girls.  Today was a stanky 5 miler on which apparently one of the girls saw, but later texted she couldn't catch me.  Since I was crawling, she must have been going really slow!:laugh:  This afternoon, I have a 2:00 conference call which I hope is done by 2:45 so I can make it to my 3:00 massage.:shocker!:  Going out for sushi tonight.  I am looking forward to cutting back to only 16 tomorrow for my long run.

We have had a strange July as it has been raining for at least a short time most days.....rain in July is very rare here.  And when it rains, it comes down in buckets.

Bonus:  I have no idea what my office or work cell phone numbers are.  I have only had them for 27 months, so give me time!  Blazerman always wore 43 when he played sports, so my kids always chose to wear 43.  I have many of their old jerseys framed and hung them in the "play room" where they hang out with their friends.  It is really a cool way to "decorate" the room.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:14 PM
A massage sounds really good right now!

Framed jerseys are really cool! I knew a guy in Buffalo, the son of Fred Stanfield, a Buffalo Sabre (hockey) back in the '70s. I was hanging out with a bunch of friends in his parents' basement one night, and the entire basement had framed jerseys on all the walls- but only some were from pro hockey teams that Fred had played on. The rest were their kids' hockey jerseys, going all the way back to peewee leagues.:laugh: I thought that was so cool, that the kids' jerseys were on the wall!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-07 12:25 PM
Workout-wise, all I did yesterday was teach cycling class in the evening. 

Running related-wise yesterday - I got registration info from the group in Philly that is bringing a boatload, more accurately, several bus loads, of middle & high school students to run our "No Frills" race this Tuesday.  They sent me info for 318 runners.  I was going to put the :shocker!:  emoji after that but it's about the same number they sent me last year so I expected it.  Some percentage of them will not show up.  Including our "regular" runners, we had 358 in the race they came to last year.  Usual participation is about 80-100 runners.  Anyway, I did a mail-merge to labels & printed out 318 labels with their info & attached them to running bibs.

Today I went to the gym, did core & shoulder PT exercises and then swam 1600 meters.

Bonus:  I've always liked the number 4...just because.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-07 12:28 PM
I went on a writing binge over the past few days. Basically I felt compelled to get down a timeline and description of a whole slew of significant events related to living with someone with mental illness for 6.5 years. I sent a copy to my BIL last night. Writing and editing it was an emotionally charged process, and by the time I got to a reasonably complete first draft last night, I felt like I had given birth. Maybe I'll share it with my kids when they get older, maybe I'll share it with my in-laws and/or a few close friends. Or who the hell knows...if it's interesting enough maybe I'll share it with the general public. Anyway, in total I've now written 22 pages single-spaced since Sunday morning.

I ran 8.3 miles this morning.

I used to wear #22 when I played soccer. No compelling reason - I just liked the symmetry of it.
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-07 1:05 PM
I write my blog for very similar reasons. It's very cathartic. Sometimes I get a little spooked when I write something very emotionally charged, and then get feedback from everyone from my daughter to my mother-in-law to my vice president at work, plus strangers. I often feel "emotionally hungover". It's strange putting yourself out there like that but it can be a really good thing. If you decide to make it public, I'd be interested in reading it.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-07 1:40 PM
Happy to share a draft with you as I consider you a close friend (even though we've never met in person). PM me your e-mail address if you're interested.
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-07 1:50 PM
I think I PMed you.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-07 1:18 PM
I am hopeful this exercise will be very beneficial for you!
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-07 1:41 PM
Thanks. Let me know if you'd like to see a draft - happy to share with you. Imaginary friends on here are awesome.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-09 5:11 AM
If you feel comfortable sharing a draft, I would be honored.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:03 PM
Writing really does heal the soul. The internet was still pretty young when my brother died in 2000, but I went on a binge and made a website, Click, with stories and pictures. The website is pretty sucky by today's standards, but just the act of creating it really helped me.

I like #22.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:31 PM
That website is precious.  Then I stalked you and saw the pics of your kids when they were little.  Isabella's beautiful, curly hair :hug:  Y'all are just adorable and SO YOUNG!!!!  You did a good thing to help those who knew and loved your brother :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 7:39 PM
Aw, thanks!:hug: I really don't know where the years have gone! And yeah, when Isabella was 2, strangers would come up and tell me she had Shirley Temple hair, so curly!:hug:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-07 1:19 PM
Day three of my broken toe. It's still in the stage where it's hurting a little worse each day but hopefully that will turn around soon. So far I'm not minding not running or doing anything. That will change soon, too, I'm sure.

Bonus: In college I dated a guy who's birthday was 9/9. We would occasionally play roulette in Atlantic City and he would always play red 9 because it was his birthday. Years later, Lilly would be born on 9/9. When I was playing roulette for the first time since those days when we were in AC a few weeks ago, I told Lilly that if I won any money playing red 9 that I would split it with her. Since I was having such great luck that night and pretty much couldn't lose, I ended up winning $105 on a bet on red 9. Ultimately I would leave the table $120 up. I didn't tell Lilly. Shhh. Don't mention it to her. Yes, I lied to my kid. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:34 PM
I'm sure Lilly hasn't forgotten about the money you owe her! She's just waiting for enough interest to accrue, kind of like the IRS.: pbbt:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-07 6:56 PM
Yeah I'll probably tell her when she's 30 years old and she's telling me about all the shit she pulled that I didn't know about and I'll give her the $175 that I'll owe her by then, with the interest.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 7:39 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-07 1:21 PM
We came home from the beach yesterday. It was a nice, quiet few days but the humidity there was awful. Every run sucked and I was glad to be home to our regular heat and humidity.

I did 5 miles at noon solo as everyone else had plans. I stuck to our in-to wn route as I was on my own and don't like being too far away when it's that hot out. We have our card group tonight so am looking forward to that.

Bonus: I'm the 4th of 6 boys in our family so I always liked the number 4 and tried to get that on my soccer jersey even though that isn't a defensive number.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 4:51 PM
Isn't it sad when your regular heat and humidity feels so much better after being somewhere even worse?:laugh: After dropping Isabella off in Savannah, where the heat was off the charts, I was actually grateful to go back to New Jersey. That was a first!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-07 4:48 PM
Happy Friday! TGIF, this was a short week but for some reason it really dragged. But after some torrential rain this morning it's shaping up to be a beautiful weekend. A friend and I just made plans to run in Central Park on Sunday.:happy: Yesterday, you missed my recap of a really good marathon paced interval run, 7 miles with 3 x 1.5 mi @ MP. Then I did about 20 minutes of weight exercises.

7 easy miles this morning, then lots of dog walking. Black beans, yellow rice, and eggs for dinner. Last night, Philip and I went out to our favorite local place for his belated birthday dinner, and had a really nice meal. I had a seafood risotto, and he had a braised lamb shank.

Bonus: No lucky number, but I do like numbers divisible by 5.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-07 8:07 PM
7 miles plus dog walking - woof!  Do you keep track of your steps?  Not that DH and I do, or compare or anything :roll:

Have fun in Central Park :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-08 10:12 AM
The activity app for the Apple watch does track steps, but I don't pay much attention to it. If I run 6 ish miles and walk dogs on any given day, I know I do about 24,000 steps- about the same as I do in a half marathon.:laugh: If I don't run, but walk dogs, it's 15 to 17 thousand steps.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Lucky 7/7 or the Friday Daily