Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday NRR
- - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 6:38 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 6:42 AM
I went to the chiro this morning and had an interesting discussion with my MALE chiro about the female system with regards to exercise and injury. It helps that he's an ironman too :laugh: Anyway, I found it interesting because he was telling me that in the week leading up to your period since your estrogen is lower it leads to a higher rate of injury among athletes if you are doing high volume or higher intensity. And that if the athlete races on the first day of their period their performance is usually better because the estrogen has shot back up. I was definitely something I was able to confirm about racing since I never really minded racing the first day because i always raced better. I can't say it's true in the last year but I haven't had any races fall on the first day of my cycle. And I definitely notice the fatigue and sluggishness of the week leading up to it. Anyone else notice these things?
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 6:51 AM
I have noticed sluggishness on the week leading up to it.  BUT I hate, hate, hate doing anything the first 1-2 days.  If I'm not on some hormonal birth control (which I prefer to not be), I bleed out of a super plus in less than 2 hours.  I also have incredibly painful cramps, backache, and nausea.  Nothing I want to deal with during a hike or race.  I hate taking tampons along for things like a marathons/hiking but I've had to do it.  My RE suspected I had endo (my sister had hers confirmed w/ surgery and I guess it can be genetic and we had exact same symptoms) so maybe that is another factor.  If I was discussing it with him I'd ask if the fact I might vomit and bleed terribly on day 1 would lead to a good race.   It was often why I liked parts of pregnancy (once morning sickness moved on but nature was cruel and it lasted most of one pregnancy) and early PP, to get rid of all my nasty side effects from my cycle.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 9:53 AM
If I was discussing it with him I'd ask if the fact I might vomit and bleed terribly on day 1 would lead to a good race. 
Obviously not. However it was a study he was telling me about. Not all women are the same. I know for myself I don't have horribly bad issues, most of the time tolerable but not anything to make me housebound or bathroom bound. That said I find tampons can be very uncomfortable even though I use them exclusively and my body has in the past expelled them. Fortunately that's happened AT home or when a bathroom was easily found.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-07 2:00 PM
Ditto with the tampons. Cannot wear them for some reason anymore.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 9:01 AM
If I did a tri on the first day of my period, I'd probably end up with a waterlogged tampon and then bleed all over my bike. :laugh::cry:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 9:54 AM
:laugh: I've never actually noticed a tampon getting waterlogged. It never even occurred to me :laugh: I have seen that happen (not the waterlogged part the bleeding part) at races though. I know for longer races (70.3 and up) aid stations often have supplies if needed.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 10:02 AM
I had it happen once when I was doing a mile swim at the pool.  I was like HANG ON WHAT THE HECK. :laugh:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 10:09 AM
Did it feel weird or something? I know what a question to ask : pbbt:
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-07 10:23 AM
:laugh: I've had it happen, too. First it felt really, really full, and then it started to fall out! :shocker!:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-07 10:25 AM
I've never had it fall out, but I have had them waterlogged. Always change the tampon immediately after swimming!
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-07 10:34 AM
I had it happen in a chlorinated pool, thankfully! The thought of a lake-waterlogged tampon is horrifying!!
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 10:38 AM
OMG :shocker!:
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 10:51 AM
Yes, it is so disgusting :cry:.  I hate swimming with tampons.  Thankfully I've only had the bad day 1 or 2 stuff during a marathon and hiking (which are quite nasty enough but trying to swim and have a waterlogged tampon and somehow move on to biking and running would suck more)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-07 10:41 AM
Lake water is often cleaner than a pool!
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 10:45 AM
Depends on the lake.  The beaches here get closed often enough for ew reasons that I don't want that in my body.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-07 10:49 AM
yes, and depends on the pool.  There was a situation with a hotel pool here in Seattle a year or so ago. The water was so murky that no one noticed a dead body in it for a few days!!:shocker!:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 10:59 AM
OMFG EW
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 11:09 AM
That is a really sad story :sad:.  Even though I agree w/ the health dept (or whoever it was in teh article) that they cant' check daily.  Whoever the hotel hired as the pool/spa operator shoudl have his/her license revoked/suspended or something if they are not maintaining the pool properly.  There is a good chance teh hotel wasn't providing that person w/ the budget/supplies/etc.  THe only reason I'm saying any of this is I might have someone in my family who has such a license and Ive heard some horror stories and it makes me think twice about a lot of public pools now.
Parent - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 11:33 AM
As a general rule, I'm not going in a hotel pool anyway.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-07 11:38 AM
If you think too hard about the hygiene of pools, restaurants, taxis, airplanes, etc, you'd never be able to go out in public at all.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-07-07 12:48 PM
Agreed. Although I did once get a horrible gastrobug from swallowing water from a Damascus hotel pool. But I could see it was iffy and still went in so that was my own fault... Generally I'd have to say though that if I couldn't see the bottom of a hotel pool I would steer the hell clear :shocker!: there's risk taking and then there's crazy risk taking. Same with hotel/gym hot tubs/saunas/steam rooms - yes I know they can pass on bacteria, but since I don't have a 'home' to have such things I'm willing to take the risk vs. never use them
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 10:33 AM
It felt like if I did a kegel it would literally wring it out. :laugh:
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-07 10:34 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-07 10:48 AM
:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 11:19 AM
:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-07 12:25 PM
Sometimes it's harder to breathe before - there is a higher ventilatory rate. Check out the research online, I think the article is "Women are not small men".
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-07 4:51 PM
Definitely feel it the week before. And also the approximately 3 weeks before that. : pbbt:

But yes, esp if I'm not on contraception. I'll suddenly feel sluggish and then be like, oh yeah, period should be coming in a few days.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-07 5:11 PM
I used to notice I gained about 3 pounds before every period and lost it immediately after.  Now I haven't had a period in about 7 years, so I don't know what would happen (thank you bcp and iud!!)
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:15 PM
Interesting.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 8:06 AM
Since my DH has been home he's been cutting the boys' hair.  I hated to take DS2 to get a haircut.  He has major stranger danger so hates someone he doesn't know that close to him.  Even though he sits on my lap he screams bloody murder.  He behaves much better for DH.  DH always told me just do it yourself.  Not sure how that would go as I really haven't used clippers on anythign ever before and I didn't want to experiment on the boys.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 9:57 AM
Ian at 8 STILL has haircut issues. Nothing to do with the person cutting it and Gwen has been cutting his hair from the get go, he just freaking hates it. He hates things near his ears and neck and hates the noise of clippers so Gwen only uses scissors on him and it's still an issue.  He won't let me or J near him to cut it ourselves because that has crossed our minds.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 10:53 AM Edited 2017-07-07 10:56 AM
Both boys hate the buzzing sound/sensation and prefer scissors.  It's just that DS2 also hates anyone that he doesn't see regularly and for long periods of time on top of that situation.  It does seem to take my DH a lot longer
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 11:22 AM
I think in Ian's case it's also partially due to his noise sensitivity, and neck/ear sensitivity and being borderline aspergers/ADHD as I've been told that is a symptom of both. But yeah, getting a haircut when you don't know someone and you are a little kid (DS2 is under2 right?) goes right along with that. They do get better. One thing we had to do with Ian, is schedule him 4 weeks for haircuts not 6 or 8 because with it being shorter it's less time in the chair for him. Still fidgets and freaks each time but it's a shorter duration.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 9:00 AM
Guy from the first of two companies I have coming out to do an estimate for the rebuild came this morning. He's from the insurance company referral network.  i'd told him after work is easier for this, though I understand that the work will be done during the day.  He said it was too hard for him to get into the city in the evening, so I said fine, come at 7:00 then.

He showed up at 7:35. :mutmad:  And then proceeded to tell me that because the insurance company gave me money to clean all the floors and paint the living room, he was putting it in his estimate.  This after I told him I do not plan on having the living room painted now nor do I plan on having all the hardwood floors cleaned.  I will do that all myself once I get a new couch.  Don't put it in the estimate if I'm not having the work done.  Yes, the insurance company gave me money for it, but I'm going to use the money to pay myself to do it LATER.

Don't assume I'm going to use your company just because you're in the referral network.  You were late, and you were rude.

Guy from the company who did the demo/mitigation is coming at 6:00 pm.  Every meeting I had with them has been as pleasant as possible and they were always on time or even early.  I'm hoping that continues and that their estimate comes in close to what the insurance company is at because I'd like to use them instead.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-07 9:58 AM
Hope demolition co is good then! First guy sounds like a jerk.
I hope so too - and that the cost is reasonable.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-07 10:32 AM
:mutmad::mutmad: on your contractor guy. Make sure you get an itimized bid so he doesn't sneak it in.

We just had a lot of work done at our house, and the timeliness issue seems to be a common one. Fortunately for us we had a GC, so he got to keep them on task : pbbt: One night the drywall mudder/taper guy had to stay until midnight because he had gotten behind and the painter was scheduled for the next day! :shocker!:
Parent - By elmtree Date 2017-07-07 11:00 AM
Oh absolutely. I have the itemized estimate from the insurance company, and I'll be going LINE BY LINE with it.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 10:53 AM
Wonder if he thinks because they are in the network they can treat folks more poorly?  Or maybe he's just an ass.

Hope the guy youve already worked w/ comes through with a bid you can handle.
I'd certainly hope not!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-07 12:23 PM
Idiot!  :mutmad:  Hope the next meeting goes well.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-07 2:02 PM
Douchelord. I wouldn't have waited more than 15 minutes, I don't think.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-07 4:24 PM
I just updated my blog with a post about being DFL.
http://swimrebeccaswim.blogspot.com/2017/07/what-does-place-matter.html

Oh, and I got an estimate from the plumber who came yesterday. He's about $10 an hour more than the other one, but he gave me a flat rate (so that's based on his estimation of time) instead of an hourly rate. Incentive for him to work efficiently.  And, he was VERY personable. So I think I'm going to go with him.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-07 5:00 PM
:cool: in CT there was a race that handed out a red lantern award to the last person in.  I just barely lost that award!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-07 5:10 PM
awesome.  There is a triathlon here where the last finisher gets to run with a world class triathlete.  She swims with the slowest swimmer, bikes with the slowest biker, and runs with the last runner, even if they are different people.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:05 PM
That is cool!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:14 PM
So, musing on the fact that I still am having a LOT of physical fatigue and increased need for sleep after my "serious" workout days, when I am pushing my current boundaries in terms of the knee-hab, in either strength or aerobic capacity.

Am I noticing it more now because I am generally NOT as tired or stressed out otherwise, and this makes the contrast stand out more?

Or is this a real increase in post-workout fatigue based on the physical recovery from surgery?

Or am I still dealing with the overtraining recovery?

Or is this what people normally feel like when they exercise for a couple hours at a time and they are not constantly on adrenal overload like I used to be?

These questions haunt me. Overall I feel really good, though. My muscles feel rested. I sleep well. The chronic anxiety is gone. I do not feel depressed. My HR and other physiological indicators are good. So....I am not worried, but just wondering WTF is going on.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-07 7:21 PM
It's probably an unanswerable question/musing.  I'm not sure if "normal" actually exists, or if it's just a concept to make us all feel like weird outliers. :laugh:  But seriously, if I look at any one thing long enough I tend to find that most of the things I think are odd about myself are actually quite common and the things I write off as "normal" tend to be the things I discover are quite dissimilar from the way that many people experience the world.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-08 8:12 AM
Sounds normal to me. Whenever I put in 2 or more workout hours in a day, I'm tired and need more sleep. Sometimes very tired.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday NRR