Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Saturday 7/8
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-07-08 6:44 AM
Hey, What's Up?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-07-08 6:45 AM
5.64 miles in the park this morning.  Got finished and out before a local 5k got underway.

Beautiful storm last night.  It came in from the northwest where I have my best view of the sky.  There was one of those clouds the weather channel calls a "wall cloud" and underneath that the sky was black and contained lots of lightning.

As I have mentioned in the past, we live in a condo with lots of older people. There are about 80 - 100 condos and there is a .31 mile loop that many folks come out and walk around.  While I was out last night a woman walked by.  By the time she she came by the 4th time the storm was practically on top of us so I asked her how she was doing.  Turns out she was lost.  Her dog ran out of her condo so she went to get him and couldn't remember how to get back.  She knew her condo was #176 so she was wandering around looking for it.  I didn't know where 176 was so we walked over to the clubhouse and checked the map.  Then I walked with her until she saw her place.  By then, the sky had opened up and lightning was everywhere.  I was over on my in-laws side of the condos so I ran up to their door which startled them but they did let me in. :cool:   My father-in-law gave me a ride back to my place.

I had left my tablet on a table on the porch.  It no longer works. I guess it is not water resistant.
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 7:34 AM
:hug: what a kind thing to do for someone. :hug:

I can remember a time when my Mom noticed an older gentleman wandering a parking lot. She got out of the car and asked if he need assistance. He did. :hug:

Did She find her dog?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-07-08 10:11 AM
Yes. It was one of those little designer dogs and she was carrying it.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:48 AM
:laugh: that's good
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-07-08 8:20 AM
for some reason this reminds me of college when every apartment building looked the same.   After nickel beer night you never knew who may wander in to your building.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-08 10:31 AM
You are a good person Dave. Bummer about the tablet. Can you stick it in rice like a phone?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:31 AM Edited 2017-07-08 11:35 AM
It was a few years old anyway and had some issues.  I've been browsing new ones.  There is a Lenovo tablet with a built in projector (Yoga Tab 3 Pro).  Not sure it is worth it but it is sure cool.  With Annabelle visiting soon.....

(I also have a Kindle Fire HD 8 that will hold me for a while.  It is a purchase I regret.  It was cheap and it works fine, but the ads, special offers, and the inability to run certain apps is annoying.)
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-08 12:18 PM
John has that kindle but it was the first gen for that and the battery is dying. He wants a 10 fire but they haven' thave them in stock for eons.
Parent - - By DottieO Date 2017-07-10 7:54 AM
I had two Kindle Fires that had issues. I ended up with a refund and a courtesy gift card and bought an iPad and downloaded the Kindle app. And the Apple people got all my books loaded. Now I want a new one but the old one works great and I can't justify the $$ purchase. Yet. I'm working on it. : pbbt:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-10 9:22 AM
Other than age and batteries dying our Kindles (we each have one) have been great. His is the first time we've had issues with a battery as well. We (J&I) loathe Apple products and will never buy any again. Can't stand them at all.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:34 AM
We have some of the kindest, most caring people on this forum!  Thanks for helping her Dave.

Sorry about the tablet.  But on the bright side -- you get to buy a new one!
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 7:36 AM
Good Morning Dave and all others...

Got up early for speed work. 8 miles with 12 x 400. Did okay. about 5 seconds off pace. Need to buckle down with my diet. I truly believe it is what is holding me back now

Happy Birthday to my sweet boy, Josh turns 12 today. He will have a friend over and we  will go out to dinner tonight. Mexican joint. Good chips. Cake after.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-07-08 8:22 AM
Happy Birthday Josh!!!   Enjoy your last year without a teenage boy.:wink:   Nice work out this morning.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 8:50 AM
thanks super D!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-07-08 10:20 AM
Happy birthday to Josh.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:49 AM
Thanks Dave!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-08 10:31 AM
Happy Birthday Josh! I always forget he's just over a month older than Amanda :hug:
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:50 AM
Thanks. I didn't realize that...I thought he was much older. I was wrong
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-08 12:19 PM
I thought he was too! Amanda will be 12 in Aug and Ian 9 in Nov :shocker!:
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 1:56 PM
gosh. time does fly. Morgan will be 15!! I feel old.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:30 AM
Happy Birthday to Josh!   Sounds like a perfect meal tonight, Mexican food, good chips and cake!
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:50 AM
:cool::hug: thanks
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-07-08 8:28 AM
It is a cool/pretty morning here.  While walking Misha I decided I better get out for a run and take advantage of it.  I'n messing with some allergies and not breathing well but the temps were too perfect to pass by.

I ran a bit different route which I assumed was 3 miles.   According to my time though it looks to be more like 2.8    So not a long workout but certainly an enjoyable one.

We had the neighbors over for a party on the patio last night.  I laughed until I cried.  Really.    This morning I got up a little sad though because we usually only get one night like that per summer.  It's all down hill now.:sad:   No, not really sad.  Just sometimes you get the right mix of people, stories, and laughter.:happy:

There might be a trip to Menards (our version of Home Depot) in my afternoon plans.  I've got some old old old mini blinds in the window at the top of the stairs.  I'm thinking of updating to some 2" wood ones.
And their sale flyer shows garden tools on sale.  Might treat myself to a new dandelion digger.:laugh:
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 8:54 AM
I just did the same with my windows. bought the house. they had old mini blinds with so much dirt and grime on them, when I tried to clean them, they broke. so I went to home depot online and order the 2.5 faux wood blinds. I highly recommend them.  very nice product.

nice run. you can add another .2 to your run for the enjoyment factor. :happy:

I always wish I lived closer to you.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-07-08 9:03 AM
Girl, we could be dangerous.     and we think alike - I replaced one set of blinds already with the home depot online ones.   Love them!   Today tho I don't feel like waiting for delivery so I'm going to try some real inperson shopping:shocker!:
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 9:37 AM
:cool: I wanna know if you can tell a big difference between the wood and faux wood
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-07-09 7:11 AM
Well, I didn't buy any.   I need 28" and they had 24 and 30 in stock.   I can have the 30's cut down to size but I was a little leery of the kid running the cutting machine.  I'll go back a different day.    And I'm going with the faux because the color matches my window better.   I think the wood looks better but they come in oak and walnut and my windows are trimmed in maple.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-09 7:43 AM
gotcha. I also really liked the price. If it just so happens that I want to change my mind...I can. My kitchen window blind cost me 25.00
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:36 AM
I am jealous that you two can replace blinds.  I am not very good at things like that.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-09 7:47 AM
:laugh: gotta do what you need to get what you want!!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-08 12:19 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 9:40 AM
I also wanted to tell everyone this:

So I run on the C and D canal (most of the time) I start at St. George's bridge and run to Delaware city. (about 4+ miles) There at the end is a civil war graveyard. There used to be a town on the canal and it is rich in history. I stop read the markers and pay my respects. Here is link to Polktown Delaware. A free black community in Delaware, that hosts the graves of black civil war hero.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWoYXJgfrUAhXBGD4KHfVjCdYQFgg8MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefreelibrary.com%2FPolktown%2527s%2Bsleeping%2Bpast%2Bawakens%253A%2Bthe%2BAfrican%2BUnion%2BChurch%2BCemetery...-a0341132644&usg=AFQjCNEL5hsEyD0xAknBzB_JLefMfaEVug
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-07-08 9:42 AM
sorry about the survey. you can skip it at the bottom.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-07-09 7:07 AM
Great story.   A run and a history lesson all in one.  I hope somehow they make a connection to someone who still lives in the area.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-07-08 11:35 AM
Dawn, party on the patio sounds fun!  I love, love nights like that.

Good job on the run.  Enjoyable ones are the best.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-07-08 12:29 PM
I don't think I posted my workout -- 5 .5 miles PW'd early this morning. It was nice and cool, by Texas standards.

Ran errands after that and now staying indoors until this evening.

Enjoy your Saturday!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-07-08 5:15 PM
Makayla and I are in the suburbs just south of Cleveland.  It was a nice day for the drive.  We will go to church in the morning then sightsee around Cleveland.  Cedar Point on Monday.  Hope I can keep up with Makayla on the roller coasters.

An easy 3 miles this morning.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Saturday 7/8