Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Showery Monday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-07-10 4:45 AM
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-07-10 4:45 AM
Saturday is usually my day off, but I will be gone a few mornings next week. I did a good 45 minute run and it was a perfect temperature for a nice run.
Sunday Buddy was not in town. I decided to take a day off.
Today I’m down in the park but I'd better scoot before the showers start. My fridge has been acting up :meh: so I need to meet the repair guy. 
Safe and happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-07-10 4:53 AM
Hope the fridge can be fixed. Always a mess to deal with.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-07-10 11:00 AM
Nice consistency, as always!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:07 PM
Fingers crossed for a cheap fix on the fridge.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-07-10 8:32 AM
6 miles yesterday. I'm a broken record with my back giving me grief throughout, being hot & slow, and walking more than I'd like. Oh well, the distance is done and that's the main thing

Personal training tonight but before that another visit to the walk in clinic to get more medication for my back - it was getting so much better at the end of the week then yesterday & today it's worse :cry: But a colleague has lent me her standing desk while she figures out if she wants it sent to site so I need to get that set up and see if it helps. If it does I'll ask the company to buy me one.

Has anyone seen moonglow around? I had a yoga question and realised that I haven't seen her here in ages :wtf:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-10 9:03 AM
I hope you can get some relief, Nomad. :sad:  But kudos for getting the mileage done. And personal training tonight as well? Wow!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-07-10 10:59 AM
Your poor back!  I hope the standing desk helps - mine has been great for settling down my shoulder issues.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:06 PM
Back pain is awful. I hope it starts feeling better. Do you have disc and muscle issues?
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:11 PM
I think she mentioned an upcoming surgery? Hope all is going well with her! MG, check in if you see this!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-10 9:16 AM
Plan today is to walk/run and bike, with stability ball exercises.

I already got my upper body and core workout in today by burying a cat. Not our cat; someone else's cat. Short story is that one of our cats has gone missing, and T-bone passed a dead cat on the road this morning who looked a lot like ours, so he brought it back to the house. It turned out not to be ours, but at that point it seemed the decent thing to do to bury it anyway. And T-bone was late for work, so I was all "Bye, honey...don't worry, I'll dig the grave. You go now!"

He was going to stay and bury the cat himself, and when I told him to go, he protested, saying he didn't think it was right for him, as the man of the house, to leave that kind of work to me, especially on the spur of the moment. I was dumbfounded. After my experiences over the years with XH, who was perfectly happy to leave me to do all the nastiest, hardest jobs by myself, the sheer chivalry rocked me back on my heels. Like, "This is what it's like to be with a REAL man? Holy shit."

Anyway, I convinced him to go, and buried the poor kitty, and now I am having coffee and a quiet little cry. It's distressing to bury an animal all by itself, but I'm also processing a lot of memories of all the crappy stuff I had to handle over the years because Alan (XH) wouldn't. Sigh. A few moments of reflection and I'll get on with the day.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:05 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-10 9:54 AM
Anyone mind if I join in?

i'm an ex-5K runner who was not speedy, but not horrible (PR 22:00 many years ago).    I'm running about a 27 now and want to be much closer to 24 just for personal satisfaction.

Just getting back into it with the goal of maybe trying a race this fall.  3 miles this morning outside (i'm often a gym rat).

I'm also trying to drop a few pounds so I'm doing a lazy Whole 30 (meaning I do cheat every so often).

Anyhow - hi. :laugh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-10 9:58 AM
Well, hi! Good to see you again, BoredTemp! A 27-min 5k with the goal of trimming 3 minutes off sounds like a good challenge for the summer. What kind of training are you doing to increase your speed and stamina?
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-10 10:18 AM
right now just trying to get back into a routine of daily running.  I'm 47 now and the body is creaky.   I despise "long slow" runs, but will try to do one a week.  I'm much more inclined to try to just bang out whatever mileage goal I have set for the day as quickly as possible.  (yes, I know, not the best idea...).
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-10 10:38 AM
We're the same age. It takes a little extra these days to build up to that kind of speed and strength. I hear ya on the long, slow, controlled runs. They are like torture when you feel like you are not even getting a decent workout in...but the base-building is amazing. Ironjen is doing HRM training right now and finding the foundational work to be frustrating, but it really does work.

I really like Tabata intervals and HIIT training, too.

BTW, I'm all about foundation building this summer, since I had my ACL replaced in March. Long, slow, tedious rehab workouts are my jam right now. : pbbt::laugh:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-07-10 11:08 AM
I agree on the base-building with long, slow workouts - with not being able to run for the last year or so, and wanting to still have race goals, I signed up for two half-marathon walks.  I never would have thought I would ever want to walk 21.1 kilometres, but when it was the only option, suddenly it was doable.  :laugh:  Anyway, the experience of walking briskly, gradually building up to three and a half hours, built a ton of endurance that is helping me a lot now that I'm moving back into running, as well as getting ready for hiking.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-10 11:26 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:06 PM
I wish I had the time for that.  The most I can devote is an hour a day, inclusive of changing, warmup, cool down, etc., with one longer workout of up to 2 hours on the weekend.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-07-10 12:12 PM
Well, if I could've been running, I wouldn't have been out there walking, that's for sure.  : pbbt::laugh:  But an hour a day on weekdays and two hours on weekends should be awesome for working towards your goal.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:03 PM
I agree with  Zipper and Skigirl.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-07-10 10:57 AM
Stormcatcher always used to say that you should build consistency first, and then add in quantity and quality.  Following that rule, I've always built my return-to-running plans for the first few weeks around just getting out there on a regular basis - making sure I'm do a run, even if it's only fifteen or so minutes, at least four times a week. 

Being around the same age as you: don't forget that as we move into our mid-forties, rest becomes more important, so daily running may not be the optimal goal.  Just a thought - you know what's best for you - but do pay attention if it seems like you're feeling inordinately tired.  Also, I've learned from other forumites here in the same general age range that many have found that it's helpful to up your protein intake while training.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:04 PM
Glad to have more people posting and welcome!:grin:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-07-10 10:50 AM
Hi all!  :waves:  I feel like I can maybe start posting on the dailies again, after months and months of PF.  Looonnng story short, after months of PF and trying to wear my standby Nike Pegasuses and then trying the Hoka Bondis, which kind of helped but didn't entirely work for me, my LRS put me into a new pair of running shoes - Hoka Claytons.  Those have been awesome, straight out of the box - I've been able to return to running very comfortably.  :happy:  So, for a few weeks I've been ramping back up - I'm now at run/walk intervals of run two minutes and walk one minute, and I actually did a 5K on Canada Day (July 1).  :happy: 

I'm not 100% focused on running right now because we're gearing up for the summer hiking season.  Friday of next week we'll start the Chilkoot Trail, a 33-mile hike from southeastern Alaska into northwestern BC.  Then a week or so after we finish that, we're doing a four-day hike with friends in the Rockies.  So I've been working on getting my legs toughened up for lots o' climbing. 

Although I haven't been running much for the last year or so, I have been doing lots of walking, and have completed two more half-marathons towards my goal of completing a half-marathon in every province.  I've done six now, so only four more to go!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:01 PM
Hey, skigirl! Welcome back! Love me some Hokas...they are SO comfy!

Your hiking plans sound fun. :happy:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-07-10 12:13 PM
Thanks.  The Claytons are really amazing - best shoes I've ever had.  :happy:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:02 PM
That's a cool goal! I'm impressed that you got 6 done. Glad to hear the PF is getting better.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:01 PM
I did my usual 2 miles, but with only one walk break! I am excited to be running more. I'll stick to every other day for now. Over the weekend I didn't do anything, as I had an early trip on Saturday and was beat yesterday. I have a knot in my calf of the ankle injury, so I'll try some stretching later. I was busy this morning with a doc appointment, evaluated a student and then went out to lunch with my friend J, who is sick and my other friend T. It was a nice lunch, but seeing J get worse is heart wrenching.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-10 1:48 PM
Sat- a very low yet high HR (supposed to be low) 1:30 or 7.4 miles. Yes, THAT slow :mutmad: So very discouraging.
Sun-50something ride and 1.5 mile run yesterday that started with me forgetting breakfast on the kitchen counter and then getting stung by something on the knee 2+ hours in. Holy hell that hurt. Still is not right today. But I persevered and got it done, and I was happy to have had benadryl on my person.
Today- 3100 yard swim with 8x150, 8x100 and 8x50 all sets were descending and I was much more controlled with the descents this time. Good swim.
This week Amanda is at all day day camp and Ian is at 1/2 day day camp and that means for the first time ever since their arrival in this world I have 4 afternoons of 3 hours each FREE where I don't have to worry about or be with them. Though today was really not any different than any other day seeing as I went swimming and hit Target :laugh:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Showery Monday dailies