Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Early Mondaily!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-10 5:38 AM
Hey, where'd the weekend go? Post your weekend recap here, as well as your plans for today!

Workout/interesting stuff

Bonus: Do you alternate different types of running shoes?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-10 6:00 AM
Let's see. Yesterday I ran a 15k trail race. The Chobot Challenge 15k (dedicated to the son of a local trail runner who passed way too early in life 4 years ago) out at Birdsboro Watershed. Surprisingly easy course for out there but with 5 creek crossings plenty of fun. This was a USATF off road point series so I did not expect an AG placing. Might have been 6th or 7th in the 50-59 AG. It doesn't really matter. Objective achieved with some faster running (tempo effort I suppose based on my breathing) and I covered the course, an easy one by Pretzel City Sports standards, in 1:26 and change. Best part was running it in with this 16 y/o girl named Bix who was so full of youth and what lies ahead in life. She refused to drop me over the final mile. It was so funny, and in a way made me smile happy smiles. Oh, did not get passed the last 5k, except for Bix, who finished just a second ahead of me.

Saturday the missus and I hit Longwood Gardens and walked around the grounds, took in the new fountain display, and viewed the daylily show. Somewhat co-incidental as my wife has been splitting and re-arranging daylilies in the yard this spring/summer. I bought her a new plant from one of the vendors they had at the entrance.

Not sure about run today. Probably 5 or so after work on the trails with the Lady to shake out some quad soreness.

Running for me has slightly turned a corner. Still am seeing the orthopod today, still want to get the MRI, but right now I feel slightly stupid about having the appointment.

Bonus: Yes, currently using Altra Lone Peak and Altra Olympus for the trails. Not doing much road running so the Altra Torin's are collecting dust presently.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-10 7:05 AM
Sounds like your knee is cooperating :happy:   but still probably smart to keep the orthopod appt.

I forgot Chobot was yesterday.  That means in a day or two the Off Road series coordinator will send me a PDF with scored results to post on the USATF  web site. 

I have about 1,000,000,000,000 orange day lilies around our house.  Just a few of them are still blooming.  They seem to flourish wherever I put them and are overgrown in some spots.
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-10 8:15 AM
I've never even heard of the Chobot Challenge. Is it new within the last 4 years or was it rebranded as a dedication for the son of the trail runner?

Are you running Double Trouble this year?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-10 11:23 AM
This used to be the Hit the Hay trail run, but changed names a few years ago in tribute to the young runner who passed on from Leukemia. His dad is a local trail and ultra runner as well. I think Pretzel City took over the race at that time, when before they just timed it. Course seems to change a bit every year though this is the first year I've run it. I've seen leftover markings though in previous years that took the course into more hilly/remote places then they used this year.

Probably no to the DT this year as it's 2 weeks from now, though maybe it's what I need to get out of my slow running funk.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-10 8:41 AM
Get the MRI- good to turn that corner with a clean bill of health!

Your story about racing the teenager::hug::hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-10 11:25 AM Edited 2017-07-10 11:35 AM
It was so funny. She was encouraging me to keep on running the last mile. C'mon you can do it!! It was so funny. :happy:
I did not have the heart to tell her I typically only bonk in 100 milers. :laugh:
This shorter stuff, it's just a matter of me being slow. :blush:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-10 10:06 AM
Awwww.....when teenagers are full of youth.  At least one of my teenagers is like that!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 11:38 AM
Sounds like a fun run! I love your description of Bix. :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:29 PM
Glad to hear the knee is cooperating! But if there is something wrong, I hope the MRI shows it. Good luck!

Nice job on the race :cool:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-10 6:59 AM
My weekend was quiet.  I took Saturday as an SDO and swam 1600 meters yesterday. 

This morning's workout was the usual teaching cycling class followed by doing core & shoulder PT exercises.  Light turnout for 6am cycling class :meh:  it's summer so I expect similar until September.

Bonus:  I used to rotate 2 pair of the same model running shoes.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-10 8:43 AM
In this humidity (although not today!) two pairs of running shoes are definitely a great idea. The shoes I wore on Saturday still aren't dry!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-10 10:07 AM
Everyone leaves Texas for at least some amount of time in July, so my boxing classes are less full these days as well.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 11:39 AM
Summe ris also the time people ride outdoors, so it always seems like spin classes tend to be light.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:18 PM
That plus with the beach being just + or - an hour away some folks own or rent a home at the beach for the summer & even if they aren't off from work, will drive back on Monday morning for work & skip class.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-10 8:38 AM
I had a good weekend of running, in spite of an incredibly hot and humid Saturday. I slogged out 9 mies on Saturday, my shoes are still drying out, and then a nice 14 in Central Park yesterday. Sunday was much nicer, low humidity, sunny. I'd forgotten how hilly CP is, but it felt good to run there again. I think a big part of my feeling burned out is that I've been training on the same roads for so long now, I need to change things up more often.

6.2 easy miles this morning, plus 25 minutes of arm weights, and sit-ups. I just made a green smoothie with spinach, kale, protein powder, blueberries, and frozen pineapple. I'm trying to atone for the dim sum Philip and I ate after my run yesterday, it was fantastic!

Bonus: I have been alternating Hokas, Altras, and occasionally Brooks for a while now- and I've never been so plagued by ITB problems, and my feet always hurt.:roll: So yesterday I bought a pair of New Balance, the shoes I used to wear when I was running better, and I'm just going to stick to them now and see what happens.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-10 10:11 AM
On the weekends when the girls in my group all want to start at different times and run different distances, I can literally run 20 miles and never be further than 3.5 miles from my house. The picking up and dropping people off results in multiple repeats of the same few miles which drives me crazy.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:39 PM
You must be a very accommodating group! Picking up and dropping off instead of a single meeting point would make me crazy.:laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 11:36 AM
The NB foam Zante are pretty nice, I found them not so durable but N loves his and couple of folks on running friends recommended it as well.
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-10 10:22 AM
The kids were with their dad this weekend. Bill and I feel somewhat like we "wasted" the days but we really didn't. We took some time to do absolutely nothing and that was good. We talked a lot. We watched a movie (although I don't recommend watching The Boy In The Striped Pajamas when you're trying to avoid the topic of dead kids.) And we rode our bikes together for the first time in years. During those rides, we experienced actual fun and not just fun with an asterisk. I'm also proud of myself for being able to ride as well as I did.

Bonus: Not anymore. I used to, having up to 10 at a time in current rotation, including two or more pairs of racing shoes. Now I run everything in one pair of Asics GT-1000 at a time. When they are dead, I buy new ones. The only time it's a problem is if they get so soaked that they don't dry before my run the next day but that was rare and since my runs are all pretty short, I'd just run in wet shoes if I had to.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-10 10:28 AM
I am glad you enjoyed your ride without an asterisk!!
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 11:34 AM
I don't know downhill on the bike can be fun with an asterisk. :laugh: That's great to have a weekend to unwind and talk, do some simple fun stuff.
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-10 11:39 AM
Good point! I use the word "fun" loosely here. The uphills weren't all that much fun either. :laugh: :cry:

But seriously, part of the fun of the ride was rehashing it over beer when we got home. It felt like the old days when we'd do long runs together and then talk about it all night. Because, yeah, we're really interesting. I suppose it's safe to say that, though, on a forum in which we've all spent upwards of 20 years discussing the details of running to degrees that no one except us cares about. :laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 8:44 PM
Ha, you are talking to another person who is half of a running couple. Our geekery is off the chart :laugh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-10 10:26 AM
I stupidly didn't head out until about 6:30 on Saturday which was a horrible mistake.  The past few weekends, we had rain or at least cloudy conditions which made the hot and humid not as awful.  The full sun this weekend had me almost vomiting by mile 15, so I stopped and walked it in.  Of course, it did not occur to me to take Sunday off since I was almost sick on Saturday, and crawled through my 10 miler.  I rested up yesterday and just walked this morning and will go to boxing tonight.  Hoping I will feel better for tomorrow's run. 

Blather: If blazerboy has not completed his college application essays by the time I get home from work tonight, he is losing his phone for a week. In case you don't have teenagers, this is like cutting off his xxxx. :roll: :shocker!: He has kept saying...."I will do it tomorrow."  Well, today is his last tomorrow. 

Bonus:  No. I went 8 years wearing the exact same shoe and was never injured (except for being a klutz).  When those were changed up, I found a different style of shoe which seems an adequate replacement so I am sticking with them.  To me, when it comes to running shoes, If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 11:32 AM
Saturday was miserable. I had only three miles so I sauntered out at 8 and by two miles in wanted to cry. :laugh: Sunday was pretty nice though.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:35 PM
Ugh on the heat and getting sick from it! :cry: My race was hot and humid, and I was fine during it, but for the rest of the day after the race when we were doing tourist things I was nauseous with bouts of dizziness thrown in. Fun!

blazerboy :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:43 PM
Saturday was miserable here too, though it took longer to get as miserable. 6:30 would have been ok here, but I didn't get out until 8, and that sucked.

Ugh, College essays- Isabella comes home on the 22nd, and she has two things at the top of her to do list: college apps and learning to drive.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 11:31 AM
Had a good weekend. I had to work a little on Saturday, but after a while I said screw it, shitshow continues. :roll:

But on Sunday, some clouds rolled in and it was way cooler than you expect for July. So I had a decent long run, 13 miles, slow but pretty solid. Later in the afternoon N and I decided to check out a nearby state park. It was pretty, hard to believe it was Texas and just a few miles from downtown Dallas, we went late afternoon, so no time to really hike much. Also one trail I really wanted to check out was closed, wet conditions from the rains we've been having. But we plan to go back there when it's a bit cooler and spend a day there and check out more  trails. Later we went to dinner and again, really cool breeze, it was awesome to sit outdoors and have dinner. So far this has been a decent summer hoping it stays that way.

Bonus: Different running shoes, but they tend to be the same type i.e neutral. I used to love pretty shoes and gave that up for running and I think i channel that shoe passion into owning many running shoes. :laugh: Though N does outdo me in the running shoe department. :roll::laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:48 PM
Before I ran Bighorn, Greg Seisengrath (don't know if you know him or not, ultrarunner from Allen) told me the best place to train for my race was at Cedar Creek as it is definitely the toughest trail in DFW. I never did it.:sad:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:27 PM
Long weekend recap: Thursday I took off work and fiance and I drove down to northern VA to hang out with my parents. Friday we drive to Williamsburg and I checked in for my sprint tri and we wandered around Williamsburg. Saturday I raced, official time was 1:56:xx for the advertised 0.6-mi swim, 15.3-mi bike, and 3.1-mi run. The swim was long, almost 0.8 miles, but I felt super strong for the first time in a tri swim. :cool: 26:47 for the swim. The bike was flat flat flat, and I got passed by tons of people because the bike is my weakest sport. I came in at 58:26, and I was aiming for under an hour, so I am happy with that. The 5k run I kicked ass on, passing tons of people back with a 27:38 for 8:43 pace by my GPS. :cool: I came in 11/22 in my AG, so I definitely want to work on my bike strength so that maybe I can place better in my AG in my final tri of the season in a month and a half. Then we went to Jamestown, Yorktown, and wandered around Williamsburg some more. Sunday we drove to Richmond to have brunch with my sister and her husband, and then we settled in for the long drive back to NJ. We got stuck in traffic and didn't get back before the kennel closed, so Apollo is still there! I feel bad but hopefully he's having fun with friends. : pbbt:

Plans for today: 4 recovery miles this morning. My quads are SORE from the tri, even though the bike course was flat I was hammering pretty hard and my quads are super weak. I was planning a swim after work, but I might not have time for that since I am catching up on being out of the office for 2 days and I have meetings up till 6pm and I cannot miss the 7pm cutoff for getting Apollo from the kennel tonight! And the town pool closes at 8. So maybe just a long dog walk for my PM workout.

Interesting stuff: Fiance wants to do a tri next year, and he wanted to get a high-end tri bike, thinking he would get hooked on tris and get good use out of the bike. Then I told him how much they cost :laugh: and he's happy with getting a regular road bike. Mine's at least 10 years old and I would like an upgrade, but a lighter bike is not going to help the fact that I don't train enough on the bike in the first place. :roll: Also interesting/annoying: a friend of ours did a half Ironman last year, and he got an Ironman tattoo. I told him he should have only gotten a half tattoo since he "only" did the half. He was not amused. He keeps saying he's doing an Ironman this fall, and I keep calling him out that it's "only" the half. He is one of those people who get really upset about people saying they ran a marathon when they have walked a marathon, so I feel like it's my duty to call him out on this every chance I get. :laugh: I'm an asshole.

Bonus: I do not alternate types of running shoes. Since I have messed up biomechanics, if I find a pair that work, I stick with them. I have multiple pairs of the same shoe that I rotate.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-10 12:46 PM
No, you're not the asshole, that guy is! Who gets an IM tattoo when they haven't done an ironman?:wtf::roll:

Nice job on the tri!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-10 2:11 PM
If you would like to try a tri bike, I will loan you Roo, I know you are my height (I think) so it would fit you, you'd just need to make some adjustments and possibly change out the saddle/clips. Let me know.
Did your friend get a 70.3 under the tattoo? It's pretty taboo for someone to get the m-dot for only doing a 1/2! Personally I could care less what someone else does, but I wouldn't have done it. I know someone who got the outline when they did the 70.3 and then had it filled in when they did the full. I liked that idea.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-10 5:54 PM
Thank you for your offer of a Roo loan! I might take you up on that, but not until next year, after the wedding. I am not purchasing anything I don't 100% need until after that! :laugh:

That tattoo idea is actually pretty cool!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-10 2:17 PM
Holy cow, that guy is a dick!!!
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 7:14 PM
Not an asshole at all. 1/2 to full IM, the difference in training is big. Apparently some people get a blue M dot if they did the half. :roll: I will confess to rolling my eyes a bit (okay a lot ) at the tattoo thing. :p  It's not like 100 mile finishers all run off to get a tattoo and that is way way harder than an IM will ever be.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-11 5:59 AM Edited 2017-07-11 6:05 AM
No way, an IM is so much harder than a 100 miler!:laugh: At least it looks like it is!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-10 8:26 PM
Our weekend was pretty low key, but we still enjoyed it.  Saturday was the usual 14 miles.  I'm not too interested in running longer at this point.  Just two more local LR's and then DH and I will be gone for a 5-week trip.  I'll start training in earnest when we get back (or so I tell myself :roll:)  Yesterday DH and I worked out a different route for him cycling.  He loved it and put in some good miles and I was able to do a longer-than-usual recovery run at Santa Ana NWR.  Bikes aren't allowed beyond the parking lot, so we just checked on each other, then he cycled back home while I changed clothes and enjoyed some very nice birding.  It had rained just a little on Saturday afternoon, so the air on Sunday was clean and much less humid, the plants were happier than they'd been in a while, and I had some fun times with the birds :roll:  I know.  It's pathetic, but I loved it :blush:

One of my neighbors is following a GF diet now, and I fixed cupcakes for her birthday and invited her and her husband over.  I think she liked the cupcakes, but what I think she really liked was that I saved the beaters and let her lick them clean.  At my house, when we were kids, the birthday girl always got the extra treat of licking the beaters. :flashback::cool:

Bonus:  There aren't many shoes that suit me well.  Just the Mizuno Wave Riders and the adidas Supernova glides, or maybe they're just called supernovas now.  Now that I'm not working at the shoe store, I don't have the discount on the Mizunos and since DS works for adidas, I find myself wearing the supernovas most of the time, and the results seem to be fine, so no complaints.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-10 8:33 PM
It's not pathetic, I love when we can spend time outdoors, even a walk in Arbor hills makes my day. I know what you mean about Sunday, it was so nice here for July.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-11 6:04 AM
Aw, so thoughtful of you to save the beaters  for her!:hug:

I was telling Isabella, who's in Savannah, about bird watching and she started to try and identify some of the small "hoppy birds" around the creek near her dorm (the same creek with the alligators:shocker!:). So yesterday she texted me in a panic that she was trying to get a photo of one of the birds when a big hawk swooped down, grabbed it, and flew away.:shocker!::shocker!:  I'm not sure if she'll continue bird watching.:laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-11 7:14 AM
:shocker!::shocker!:  It happens, and I never get used to it.  Those don't happen terribly often though.  Poor girl.  I hope she's not scarred for life.  :sad:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Early Mondaily!