Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / July Books
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-07-10 7:36 AM
What do you have this month?
Parent - - By jwd1113 Date 2017-08-02 12:17 PM
after 1Q84 i was on a Hemingway mini-binge last month, Hemingway's Boat which was ok, but just ok;  the 'restored' version of A Moveable Feast which was fun, and the great The Sun Also Rises
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-08-02 1:01 PM
I'm 200 pages into the third book of 1Q84. How many times will they re-iterate the life of Aomame and Tengo :cry:
280 pages left, and then I can say I've read everything Murakami. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-08-02 1:19 PM
To answer your question...  a lot. A lot more times.

Everything goes into a holding pattern in the third book before rushing to a wholly unsatisfying ending.
- By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-07-10 7:41 AM
I just finished The Unseen World by Liz Moore. I'm not sure how I heard about this one, I need to start making notes on that now too! I had it on my Kindle for some reason though and I thought it was very good. It deals with tech, the 1980's, Alzheimers and other big topics that were interesting to me. It's worth the read

Amazon had a book sale yesterday so I grabbed Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad by William Craig. When I bought it I didn't realize that it had been written 40 years ago so I'm a little bit worried about that but I'll give it a shot.
- By Photocat [us] Date 2017-07-10 8:08 AM
Just ordered Dean Koontz's The Silent Corner. I'm a huge DK fan but this is supposed to be different for him. It should arrive Wednesday.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-10 9:00 AM
I have a little over 100 pages left in Murakami's 1Q84. I'm a bit worried that I won't be satifisfied with the ending. The last quarter or so of the book hasn't been as good as the first three quarters.

I ordered White Hurricane: A Great Lakes November Gale and America's Deadliest Maritime Disaster by a David G. Brown. That will probably be next.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-12 2:11 PM
I have about 60 pages to go. There's no way that it can wrap up in a satisfying way. The last third has been really repetitive and the plot has ground to a halt. I've given up any hope that a lot of major plot points will be explained.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-13 1:14 AM
That's also pretty common in his books, pretty much unsatisfying open endings. He doesn't get the girl, his life is still crap, but at least he now accepts it sort of plot :laugh:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-13 4:20 AM
I won't give any spoilers but will say that the ending was absolute shit.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-13 8:06 AM
You have such a way with words in your literary reviews :hug:
The exquisite phrasing of your essay puts Patty Smith's review LDR linked below to shame :laugh:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-13 8:19 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-13 1:46 PM
I don't remember it being that bad :wtf:

you're giving me an excuse to re-read the damn thing :laugh:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-13 2:13 PM
I don't want to spoil things for tommeke so I'll be kind of vague...

It just seemed so tidy and convenient. Like he got tired of writing and just ended it.

There were a lot of plot lines and characters that were left completely high and dry, rendering their existence in the story virtually meaningless.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-21 8:03 AM
I just finished book 2 and it was indeed starting to get tedious at the end.
How many times can he re-iterate the "hand holding scene" from when they were kids?
When he was recounting his life story to his dad, same thing, we have heard all that stuff a couple of times before.

Anyway, nice surprise starting book 3, he introduces the shady PI as one of the main characters and narrators. The same type of character was in "Wind Up Bird Chronicles" and I found him to be one of the lighter and humorous characters. A bit like Lieutenant Columbo.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-21 9:29 AM
If you got annoyed by the repetition in book 2, just wait until you get into book 3.  :cry::cry::cry:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-21 11:35 AM
it's 100 pages longer :cry::cry::cry:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-13 1:10 AM Edited 2017-07-13 1:13 AM
I finished the first book of 1Q84 (I'm reading it book by book :wink:) and am about half-way in the second one.
The plot starts to thicken here which is cool. I kind of feel where this is going again, sounds a bit like his "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the world".

Murakami is a repetitive author, that's for sure and this really shows badly in his bigger books. In the "wind-up bird chronicles" I found myself thinking how many times I have read this description of how this character feels or acts before. Same with the Aomame character here. How many times does he need to describe in 10 sentences how systematic she is, how she knows the human body, etc ...

Anyway, the very good still largely compensates for the annoying but I've said it in a couple of reviews before, the dude could do with less pages really.
Also, after I'm done with these 3 books I've read all his books :shocker!::cool:
That will sound so literate at cocktail parties :hug::mischief:

and also ... "I'm a bit worried that I won't be satifisfied with the ending.", that's what she said!
~BOOM~
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:39 AM
Book 1 was fantastic. As I was reading it I thought that if the rest is as good it will be one of my top ten books.

Book 2 lost a bit of steam but was still good.

Book 3 was bad, there's no other way to put it. So bad (in my opinion) that it pulls the first two books down a few notches by association. 

Murakami can write but, even after reading only a handful of his books, I see a lot of repetition and recycled ideas. I'll read more of his books but plan on taking a break so that they seem more fresh when I return to them.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-13 8:56 AM Edited 2017-07-13 8:58 AM
I've said it ten times before but his non-magical realism ones are the best.
I find it interesting that Patty Smith's review which LDR linked says that she prefers the magical realism ones.

Maybe it has to do with which books I read of him first.
Norwegian Wood was first which I found amazing, top 10 material, and a huge eye-opener of the Japanese psyche and society.
After Dark was the second book, and I was already thinking, hmmm, this story has a lot of similarities with Norwegian Wood, but was also very good and compelling, and you felt for the characters.
Next, instead of just reading whatever I found, I started reading it in chronological order.
Hear The Wind Sing and Pinball 1973 where also very good and you could feel it was somewhat autobiographic. But again, the protagonist were really similar to the other two books I read.
Next up was Wild Sheep Chase and Dance, Dance, Dance; Although he wrote "Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World" before Dance Dance Dance, but I can't recall if I read that one first. I think I read DDD first because it was the 4th book in the trilogy of the rat, so wanted to follow the flow.
The whole sheep-man act just didn't make that much sense to me. However in "Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of The World" the magical realism works really well, and maybe you should read that one to regain your faith in Murakami (if you haven't read it already). I kind of uncovered the plot pretty quickly, but it's still a very good, interesting and compelling read, and at least it's not a thousand pages like 1q84. And he definitely recycled a lot of ideas from Hard Boiled Wonderland in Kafka On The Shore (which I think is his best BIG book).

When I got bored of Murakami novels in the past I usually read one of his short-stories books. They are very good too, although many ideas there are also recycled in his novels, or just plain chapters of his novels.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-13 1:48 PM
A high school English teacher - he taught next door to me back in the day - told me that most authors have one book in them and that they write it over and over and over.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-26 7:16 AM
Finished White Hurricane this morning. Very good. Also very sad.

I ordered another book about the Great Lakes and will start it as soon as it arrives - The Death and Life of the Great Lakes by Dan Egan.
- - By jennyO Date 2017-07-10 12:37 PM
About 10 more pages of Breathing Lessons, and then I plunge back into the Dark Tower world with Book V, Wolves of the Calla.  The break was just long enough because I'm eager to get back to Midworld.  :geek:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-10 1:57 PM
Plus, Wolves of the Calla is one of the best in the series.:cool:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-07-10 4:04 PM
It's my favorite. :cool:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-10 5:00 PM
:highfive:
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-07-21 12:24 PM
Also reading Travis Macy's The Ultra Mindset to get primed for Wasatch 100.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-11 6:57 PM
A review of a Murakami novel by Patti Smith :cool:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/books/review/haruki-murakamis-colorless-tsukuru-tazaki-and-his-years-of-pilgrimage.html
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-13 1:17 AM Edited 2017-07-13 1:26 AM

> I can’t help wondering what effect the book had on them, and what they were hoping for: the surreal, intra-dimensional side of Murakami or his more minimalist, realist side?

I am definitely rooting for the later one, which colourless is an instance of :wink::cool:
edit: closure is an illusion, exactly, that sums it up and answers Beard's question above :wink:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-12 10:33 AM
An article from way back in the day: Haruki Murakami being interviewed by Runner's World  :happy:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-13 1:34 AM
Well, now we know where he got his ideas for Sputniks Sweetheart, although wasn't there a Greek Island in Wind-Up Bird Chronicles as well?
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-13 1:50 PM
I don't remember the Greek Island in WBC, though your memory is much, much better than mine.  I'd be jealous, but being as forgetful as I am lets me re-read great stuff as if it was the first time. :wink:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-14 12:43 PM
Malta Kano was named after a (not Greek) island.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-16 6:37 AM
And her sister got a new name as well :wink:

And in Spoetnik Sweetheart, there is an island too ...
- By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-07-12 11:33 AM
Recently finished
On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder.

Currently reading
The War to End All Wars: The American Military Experience in World War I by Edward M. Coffman. It was written in 1967 but is still considered a standard.
New Orleans after the Civil War: Rage, Politics and a New Birth of Freedom by Justin A. Nystrom. I've been reading about NOLA in anticipation of a trip next month, but not sure that will be happening.
- - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-07-12 2:07 PM
Biography of Nixon. Complicated guy.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-07-12 5:02 PM
Title and author? And how is it? Nixon definitely was complicated and fascinating, and I kind of grew up with him, and remember the Kennedy debates as a little kid through the vivid moment I found out he resigned (from an old lady on Atherton Street as I was emptying her garbage). I've not read a biography, and would like to know more. TV was kind of limited in those days.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-07-12 7:01 PM
Richard Nixon, The Life by John Farrell. Historians I follow on Twitter rave about it. He's almost archetypal. Started out with good intentions for public service, but he had a fatal flaw in his personality. There was evidence of it early on, and easy to see how it metastasized.

I was 8 when he resigned and just old enough to remember that, though nothing of his administration before that.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-07-12 8:36 PM
Thanks, I'll make sure to read it. I was 13 in 1968 and 17 for his next election so couldn't vote quite yet but was pretty politically attuned in those turbulent times and would have voted against him both elections. Not because I felt he was evil or a bad leader but because Humphrey and McGovern seemed to be more aligned with my teenaged angst and idealism. I selfishly do give Nixon credit for ending the draft…I was in the last year of getting a number that counted in my senior year in h.s. I had a really early number, so count not being sent to Vietnam alongside normalization of relations with China on his list of achievements.
Parent - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-07-13 12:23 PM
Wow, didn't think about the draft angle for you.

It's a good book, well written. The author gets a little bogged down in the nuts and bolts of Nixon's first run for Congress, but he paints a good picture of a post-war country that was starting to feel some of the excesses of New Deal liberalism. Makes me interested in reading more on the shifts pre- and post-war. Without his substantial character flaws, Nixon was a capable Republican, moderate by today's standards — the likes of which I think we'd all welcome right about now.

I've only heard great things -- not good, great — about JD Vance's book.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-13 1:52 PM
I also have him to thank for me missing out on Vietnam.  I think I would have come home a very different, most likely an emotionally and mentally wounded, young man.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-07-13 2:22 PM
A much older friend from years ago told me the most surprising thing: He loved his tours in Vietnam. Best part of his life, he said. He was away from combat, but still.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-13 7:28 PM
:shocker!: :shocker!:  Who knows...but I think I would have come w/ PTSD, a guilty conscience, and an even more jaded view of humanity.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-16 8:30 AM
Started out with good intentions ?

I seem to recall Nixon got his start by red baiting , in the late 40s in Orange County, CA . He went after his political opponent Helen Douglas, won, and  then joined the HUAC committee. Get those Russkes !
- - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-07-12 4:25 PM
Earlier this month, I finished Seascape Tattoo by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes after starting it on vacation last month but not getting very far because of our schedule. Niven and Barnes have collaborated on a lot sci-fi novels and I loved every one of them, but this one is completely different. I loved it too…Niven and Barnes are amazing writers who put pictures and feelings in your head and heart in addition to telling the story…but this was the weirdest sci-fi premise I've experienced. It's never really explained but it is more a fantasy/magic novel than a sci-fi one, except that it's kind of like science fiction from the past if that makes any sense. Modest future tech imported into a Game of Thrones era world via spiritual/magical means but not excessively. It is a fascinating story with fascinating characters and if you like GoT and/or sci-fi you will love this.

Now I'm 2/3 of the way through Hillbilly Elegy, A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance. This is a detailed candid memoir by the author of his family's and others' experience mostly in KY and OH. But it says so much about Appalachia, the Rust Belt, Working Class Whites and values/ideas good and bad which maybe led to the election of our current president. This was published last year before the election and obviously years in the making for this new author, and it's fascinating even without the insights into what happened in November. What I love most about this book is how matter-of-fact the author is about his experiences as his normal, and normal to others in his family and culture, when I'm going OMFG. I've seen parts of that growing up in PA, but this book by a gifted writer who experienced it really brings it home. I can't wait to see how it ends.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-13 1:53 PM
The author of Hillbilly Elegy has been on several morning cable news programs.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-07-17 9:18 PM
I wasn't disappointed by the ending, although it really is a beginning for the 30-ish author despite him living through more already than most people on the planet ever will. His insights on what it takes to "get out" of the downward spiral culture are enlightening, although I think he is too self-deprecating when he emphasizes family, other helpers and luck versus his own strengths. Objectively, the outside things dealt him a really shit hand but he overcame them. Maybe that was his point even if he never said so. Whatever, an honest, educational and entertaining memoir from a kid my kid's age.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-13 6:40 AM
Almost finished with Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Really good. I picked it up because I had read Commonwealth by her and really liked it. I know I will want to read all her books.

I may get back to Bruce Springsteen's biography now. I had started it before the trip to Ireland but didn't want to bring a big, heavy hardcover on the flight.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-13 11:43 AM
State of Wonder is my favorite of hers-but I loved Bel Canto too.:hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-13 11:53 AM
Oh, good. Maybe I'll get that next. Thanks!
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-13 6:55 AM
I finally  finished Neil deGrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry . Very disappointing ; all text, no diagrams or other visuals which would help to explain the concepts . Quite a contrast to watching him on the telly.:meh:
Just started Outer Banks , three early  novels by Russell Banks that I bought at a used book store while on vacation . I've read some of his more recent novels and enjoyed his work. Stay tuned.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-15 7:37 PM Edited 2017-07-15 7:41 PM
My nerd, 19 yo, engineering & physics major daughter read the Tyson book and suggested it would be a great intro for me to all the things she finds fascinating. I think I understood 4-5 sentences in the first chapter. :roll: She loved the book and I feel stupid.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-15 8:42 PM
No you are not stupid ; that was poorly written as an intro text. . I'm a PhD  chemist, and I hard a hard time with just text and no graphics. Anybody who teaches would not use this book in class.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-16 1:48 PM
Thanks for making me feel better!
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:25 PM
I've been working through the latest collection of Richard Russo's short stories, Trajectory, for several weeks.  "Voice" took me forever, but it was worth it!  Looking forward to re-reading it.
- By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-07-13 8:57 PM
I neglected to post the audiobooks we listened to on our 2165 mile tour through the midwest. Audiobooks take a looong time and lots of disc-switching.:laugh: But they really work well on the interstates to pass the time, especially with good narration.

One Good Dog by Susan Wilson was amazing and had both of us crying while whizzing on the interstate highways. We loved the narration from the dog especially.
The Wright Brothers by David McCullough and also narrated by McCullough. I knew a lot about the Wright Brothers before, but learned several times more from this book. Especially about post Kitty Hawk. Fascinating stuff.
Some Bill Bryson thing about traveling the length of Great Britain. We scrapped this after a couple discs. We like Bryson but this didn't grab us like his Appalachian Trail story did.
Some book about dogs' sense of smell. Forgotten author, some boring scientific person who also narrated, and all of it sucked. Another one we scrapped after a couple discs.
Life by Keith Richards. This was entrancing, with narration by no other than Johnny Depp!:shocker!::cool: Really freaking long and we didn't finish it despite listening from Chicago to Cleveland to home. But great stories about the Stones as well as interesting things about the Beatles and many other celebrities. The beginning is getting pulled over in Arkansas with a boatload of drugs in the car, and it just gets better from there. We're not sure whether we'll finish the book on paper or audio since we had to turn the audiobook back to the library. But we're definitely finishing it.
- - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-14 6:02 AM
Ac 43-4A Corrosion Control For Aircraft.

Wholly crap, there's a lot of things trying to eat your airplane. :meh:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-14 8:22 AM
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-16 5:32 AM
I don't know what that's from but it's apt. Heat and exhaust do terrible things to metals. :meh:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-16 5:40 AM
The Langoliers. :cool:
- - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-07-14 9:06 AM
Just finished Universal Harvester John Darnielle. Was kind of disappointed in this as a whole. It was interesting at times, but it seems like a good idea that never really paid off.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-07-14 9:15 AM
The lead singer from the Mountain Goats?
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-07-14 10:58 AM
yes.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-07-14 12:14 PM
Did you read his first book yet? I've had that one on my list for awhile but haven't read it yet
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [ca] Date 2017-07-16 12:57 PM
I have not. I might go back and check it out.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-14 3:19 PM
Isn't Universal Harvester a John Deere product ? The Beard
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-07-19 4:27 PM
I read that too, and agree that the intriguing premise never quite paid off.  I liked his first book a bit more.
- By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-14 6:37 PM
Listening to Dan Chaon's Ill Will...I like it, I like how he writes, but I feel like I'm not going to not like how it turns out. Psychological thriller. I also grabbed another of his Await Your Reply and Steinbeck's Winter of Our Discontent for my vacation week. Also have Ruta Sepetys Out of the Easy on my nook, I'm about halfway through.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-19 12:02 PM
http://www.listchallenges.com/books-youll-never-brag-about-having-read

I'll admit to having read 7 or 8 of them.

Glad to see The Corrections made the list :happy:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-19 1:54 PM
I've read 10 of them. I don't understand why one of those 10 was on the list though. It seemed kinda random.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-20 2:00 PM
Perhaps a bias by the author...
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-19 3:03 PM
Braggart !
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-20 2:31 PM
Yeah, right :laugh:

Even I'm ashamed of a couple of them:
- Valley of the Dolls I read when I was in high school.  I have no idea how I ended up with a copy.
- the Dan Brown novel, the famous one, I read just to learn what the fuss was about.  That's the one I'm most embarrassed about.
- close second on the hall of shame list: The Notebook - wanted to see if it was like the movie, which I had some trouble with also
- one, maybe two, Hal Lindsey books, (Late Great... and maybe Countdown... which might actually have had a huge impact on my decision to teach social studies, so I'm not really ashamed of them.
- The Purpose Driven Life - I have no problem admitting I read this one, and found it a valuable investment of time
- I did read one Judy Blume novel, but not this one, as well as one Tom Clancy novel, but again, not the one here
- I checked out Mein Kampf from the local library when I was a kid, but didn't get far. 
- Das Kapital is a book I feel I should read, but know I'll never get around to...

So, I guess I can count six...
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-20 2:32 PM
I'm surprised Atlas Shrugged is not on this list.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-20 6:35 PM
I've read

The two Dan Brown ones because my mom recommended them.

Less than Zero.

It's Not About the Bike.

I may have read The Firm, I can't remember.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-08-01 8:51 AM
I admit to 17 of them, a number of them because I did a lot of babysitting in the 1970s, didn't like TV much, and read whatever was on the client's bookshelves after the kids had gone to bed.

Although at least one (Jonathan Livingston Seagull) was required for a class. I was an English major.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-20 1:59 PM
Men Without Women: a collection of stories by Haruki Murakami.  The first one was pretty good.

Also, a friend posted this yesterday: Science has great news for people who read actual books.  Not sure I regard this as pure scientific research, but it does confirm my bias.  Thus, it must be true ;)
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-21 1:39 PM
The second was even better, though it started out kind of slow...
- - By oitsubob [us] Date 2017-07-22 1:26 PM
I've read:

- Moral Combat: Good and Evil in World War II by Michael Burleigh

- Blue Moon Over Cuba: JFK's Cuban Missile Hunters - The Squadron and Photographs That Helped JFK Avert Nuclear War by Capt. William B. Ecker, USN (ret.)
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-22 10:34 PM
These might go on my 'to-be-read' list.
Parent - By oitsubob [us] Date 2017-07-23 7:43 AM
Another good one on the Cuban Missile Crisis is "One Minute to Midnight" by Michael Dobbs.
- By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-07-24 6:55 AM
I finished Enemy at the Gates, it was good but it made me realize just how much better of an author Rick Atkinson is when writing about WWII.

Over the weekend I read A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss and Survival by Melissa Fleming. This was a very fast read about a refugee from Syria. The writing style wasn't very good but after I finished I learned that the author adapted this book from a TED talk she gave, which now makes sense. I highly recommend this book if you are looking to learn more about the plight of the refugees but it is NOT easy to read about what she goes through. And it makes you think how any country could not help these people (which is the point of the book, the author also works for the UN).

My ex-wife left behind the book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks so I grabbed that off the shelf to start reading. 20 pages in and I'm hooked so far.
- By jennyO Date 2017-07-24 11:37 AM
Don't know if I mentioned it here, but I've also been listening to an audiobook by Nick Stone called The Verdict.  It's been really good so far.  Narrator is particularly good with different voices and accents.
- By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-07-27 9:54 AM
I think I am going to read something by Charles Dickens to mix things up.  :shocker!:  Thinking aboot either Our Mutual Friend or Little Dorrit.  :wtf:
- By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-08-02 12:36 PM
Just finishing up Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen. Pretty good. I think State of Wonder by Ann Patchett will be next since I'm kinda on a kick with her. The Springsteen biography is there too..
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / July Books