Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / TuesDaily
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-11 8:05 AM
When you go on vacation, are you really on vacation? I'm sure our retired folks have a different answer than those who have 9-5 jobs than for those who have young kids.

Regular, stuff, blather.

Bonus: Who mows the lawn at your house?
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-11 8:16 AM
When my kids were little, vacations were more exhausting than now, especially if a pool or a beach were involved. Both then and now, it really depends what is going on at work. I am supposed to be off for almost two weeks starting next week, and of course, have big, new opportunity which may present itself and need to be addressed during that time. :roll::meh: I should know by the end of this week if my vacation will be spent working part of the day or not. Either way, I guess I am fine?

10 miles, about 6 it's blondes. Will box tonight. Egg and fruit for breakfast.

Blather: Blazergirl got a tattoo on her back this past weekend. It has a "story" to it which is meaningful to her so that is nice?:roll: While I suggested she may want to wait a few years before deciding to permanently putting something the size of an iPhone in her back, she really wanted it. Oh well.....she is 19, paid for it herself and it is in a place where it is discreet so it won't show in work situations. The last point was all I really thought was important and was glad she agreed about the placement.

Bonus: I have two teenagers, so I sure as shit don't mow the lawn!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-11 10:04 AM
I don't get the whole tattoo craze but whatever. Did she drink and get loaded beforehand? :shocker!:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-11 2:20 PM
No, she got the tattoo sober and had all her girlfriends there.  She asked me to go as well and I would have, but I had to go to a thing for the boy.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:25 AM
Our son got the first of his 3 tattoos after he graduated high school (and declared himself "independent"). Two are easily covered up by short sleeve shirts but one near his ankle is visible any time he wears shorts. He says he is done and hasn't gotten one in a few a years so we hope that is the case.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:28 AM
I think the critical thing is being able to cover up tattoos for work, although that is becoming less of an issue. I am also not a fan of any on the neck/face area.

The exception to the 'work' thing is people who have ring tattoos. I know a few people who have done that instead of wedding rings.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:57 AM
I am personally not into tattoos, but I think it's cool that blazergirl got one in a non-descript area.

Hopefully, if you are forced to work on vacation, it will ultimately be time well spent for you.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-11 8:34 PM
I am not a tattoo person at all, but I think it's not a factor any more.  The number of people at my previous jobs without a tattoo could be counted on your hands :D  And likely everyone of us was over 40. :roll::laugh:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-11 9:27 AM
Our Alaska trip was one of the first vacations where I really got to be "on vacation" due to the lack of Internet. Even though I can't do a lot when in out, I try to respond to the more urgent stuff and point people in the right direction until I'm back in the office. I had to train a guy to fill in while we were in Alaska and he did a great job on most of the stuff so I only had a few things to clean up.

10 miles in the stank this morning. I was hoping to join the group for some speedwork last night but there were thunderstorms in the area so I bailed. I'm staining the front porch floor while my wife is away at camp so hope to get the first coat rolled on this evening.

Bonus: Me. I paid my son to do it for a while but found that I liked it better when I did it and since most of it was done with a riding mower it really wasn't too bad. The new yard is much smaller, but still big enough to justify the riding mower, so it doesn't take nearly as long. The new sod in the back is about ready for its first cut so that will add a little more time to the job.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-11 10:01 AM
My wife mowed the yard a few times but I did not approve of her method, mowing lines. All crooked and not in the proper direction. :laugh:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:58 AM
:roll::roll::roll:

This is what my husband says about my mowing.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:29 AM
How was Alaska? My mom just went and had a great time.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-11 11:34 AM
It was excellent!! There is a travel section in my race report that is more interesting than reading about the race. My wife took most of the pictures and we need to get them uploaded to FB in some sort of album.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-11 2:23 PM
I am recalling that your yard was fairly big!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-11 3:42 PM
It's way smaller than the old house. That was one of my conditions for the move - I didn't want a big yard to maintain.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-11 9:54 AM
Yes, when I am on vacation I do not work or check email with the exception of visiting the parents in FL. Usually I make those working vacations, working full or partial days during the trip.

Short run/hike last night with the Lady at Warwick Park. I was pretty creaky from Sunday's race, aka speedwork. Oh boy. Sore quads from a 15k. We took the route that crosses over French Creek and the Lady was brave and went into a section up past her belly. That's deep for her. Never saw her swim. She prefers wading. Finishing up the loop some young HS speedster came upon on and stopped as he wanted to pet the Lady. She is so popular.

No run today. Had the MRI with contrast dye done this morning which meant stops at 2 different departments. Interventional radiology for the dye inject and then another building for the MRI. Forgot how loud all the beeps, whirs, and clicking were with the MRI machine. Always makes me think I am in 60's sci-fi movie, like below the planet of the apes, where they fire up the doomsday machine.

Bonus: Me. Toro self propelled walk behind mower. Takes about an hour and 15 minutes. Garmin measured at 2.18 miles.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:29 AM
I'm glad Lady gets so much attention!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:59 AM
When do you get the results of the MRI?

Trail runs always make me sore.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-11 11:44 AM
I have the CD with the images already, not that I can read them (of course I tried). See the ortho next Monday for follow-up.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-11 2:24 PM
Lady:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:08 AM
Before I retired : pbbt:  when on vacation I was really on vacation!  It helped that for many years we were not afforded access to our (DoD) email account or the systems we used.  During the latter part of my career that changed and I had a laptop I could connect via my home broadband.  It was noticeably slower than accessing at the office, likely due to all the layers of security.  I did not take it with my if I traveled away for vacation but if on a "staycation" or portions of vacation that I was at home I would at least check email so I wouldn't have 1,000,000 of them to go thru when I returned to the office.

My workout this morning was doing some core exercises, the PT exercises for my shoulder and then swimming 1600 meters.

It's about 90 degrees here now and will get several degrees warmer as the afternoon moves on.  We have our club's race to put on this evening.  We typically get 80 - 100 runners but once each summer, which will be tonight, we're joined by a group from Philly (Students Run Philly Style) that mentors/coaches middle & HS kids in life & running.  They are supported my corporate donations and don't charge the kids, even for race entry fees.  So, since our race has always been free for students, it's a good deal.  I have 318 pre-registered from them...some will be a "DNS" but I still expect we'll have over 300 runners including our regulars not from their group.

Bonus: 3 of us do it...me, myself and I : pbbt:  Gas powered but not self-propelled mower for my < 1/4 acre lot.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:30 AM
ugh, what rough conditions for the race tonight.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:55 AM
Not having access to work email on vacation would be such a blessing - both because it would force you to unplug and no one would email you on the "off chance you're checking email while you're away" :roll:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-11 11:48 AM
We've been to a place in the Caribbean with no phones, TV's in the rooms, and well back in the 90's no wifi either, but they have that now. It was great to unplug from the news and everything. It's really quite freeing, but not reality.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-11 2:25 PM
Good luck with the big race crowd!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:21 AM
How apropos. I just came back from "vacation", which was really more like a trip. Every 4th of July, we head with my in-laws to the Finger Lakes. I love the area, but having an almost-3 year old makes it a little less fun, and cramming in 6 adults and 1 toddler into a small, very rustic (to put it diplomatically) cabin with 1 bathroom makes it a lot less fun. My SIL's husband is kind of :meh: Very nice guy, but I'm really ambivalent about him. Oh, also, while we were gone, we decided to have our second floor floors refinished. So we pulled up the disgusting ratty carpet that was there before, and the night before we left, we took apart all the furniture, moved all of the stuff out of our closets, and brought it downstairs. It was a MASSIVE pain in the ass. So knowing that putting all of that shit back in its place when we returned from a 5 hour drive was also weighing on me the entire time. Spoiler alert: putting it all back sucked just as much.

Also, I had a shitload of work emails that never stopped. I spent about an hour every morning cleaning out by inbox (but limited to that) because ignoring it actually stresses me out more.

I didn't run at all while I was away, but did a lot of swimming and walking. It's super hilly there, so walking was pretty tough. Today, I ran 4 miles. I am on this thing where I run from my house, down a screaming steep hill into Manayunk (for those PHL people). I run on the Main Street for a bit, then turn around, and walk up the big hill home. I am just about to go buy lunch in our cafeteria, which is hosting a Game of Thrones-themed lunch. Essentially, it's the same crap as usual, but with "Dothraki-spiced" thrown in front. I might get the "Iron Born Fish Stew in a Bread Bowl" :roll:  This is one of the 'benefits'? of working at a big cable company -- themed lunches.

Bonus: My husband, and between that and weed-whacking, it takes a crapload of time (2+ hours). Once we can afford it, we plan to outsource it. It's a lot of time spent away from the family during the precious weekend daytime hours.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:32 AM
Does L still nap? I miss when N napped on vacation and we would get some quiet time.

floor refinishing is a total nightmare.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-11 11:07 AM
We really should be phasing out the nap (we put L down, and we hear her singing and talking for about an hour before she dozes off) but I'm terrified to give it up because DH and I really rely on the downtime it affords us.

The floors look great now, but the process and the cleanup afterwards was terrible. Also, our house still smells like polyurethane a week later :roll:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 11:45 AM
N dropped the nap before she was 2 :cry: Every now and then we would get lucky after that and she still had 'quiet time' but no nap.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:54 AM
Themed lunches!  So that's what my monthly payment to your employer goes for! :laugh:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-11 11:00 AM
:laugh: Trust me, the lunches are not free. The prices are actually high enough that I wonder if my employer is extracting margin from it :roll:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-11 11:51 AM Edited 2017-07-11 11:54 AM
Well, at least they are not serving bowls of Flea Bottom Brown.  :grin:

That definitely sucks about the cramped vacation quarters and worse yet coming home to the furniture moving nightmare. Ugh. Came home once from FL, and the wife had started to paint the bedroom, but didn't finish. Furniture was moved everywhere and she thought I might like to paint at midnight after a tiring plane trip and hour drive back from Philly.  :cry:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-11 2:31 PM
When we vacation with my in-laws, we are always jammed into a space which is not conducive for the number of people.:cry:  At the end of July, there will 22 us "together".  I keep asking blazerman what kind of accommodations we are in, and he keeps claiming ignorance.:roll:  Blazergirl and I are skipping the first 2-3 days as we will be visiting with my family in another part of Michigan......at my brother's house where everyone has their own room.....so we will miss part of the "clowns in a car" shenanigans with my in-laws.  If we are jammed into something, I will just get a hotel room. I have done it in the past and my MIL feels "hurt", but I like to get some sleep on my vacation.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 10:26 AM
I have a small kid, so the vacation isn't sleeping late or spa days. But I do usually disconnect from work completely which is a great mental vacation. Actually one positive with changing our vacation from London to a domestic trip is that my sister is joining for some of it. She has been trying to figure out a time to come to visit us and the only week that works out is our vacation. Anyway, the upside of this is that she has already told me to make dinner plans for a night she will be with us so R and I can have a night 'out'. And we can have an extra adult during the day so we can take turns going at N's pace.

Run was 7.25 miles.
banana and cherries for breakfast.

Blather I have so much work to do but I keep getting sucked into twitter...
On a happy note, I am a big drinker of carbonated waters. I got a soda stream and I LOVE it.

Bonus A man named Mauro.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-11 11:42 AM
Where is your new domestic location? That's nice to have another pair of adult hands and for your sister to offer up a night out.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 11:46 AM
Seattle, and we will also go to Victoria to get out of the country for a few days
Parent - By AgelessDave Date 2017-07-11 12:48 PM
We just got back from a trip to Vancouver Island and spent one day in Victoria. That is anawesome city! I made plans to go back for their marathon (or half?) in fall of 2018, I have tentative commitments from two cousins to run it as well (one lives in Victoria).
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-11 2:32 PM
I love Seattle!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-11 11:55 AM
Did you skip London because of the craziness there lately? Seattle should be fun. Cool weather for you even if they end up in a northwest version of a heatwave.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-11 3:51 PM
Yes. We were mixed on it but since we could cancel with no negative impact we did.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-11 8:44 PM
Not always. Software release dates don't always line up nicely with vacation and there have been times i worked especially race weekends. It sucks but I've worked for good managers and they try their best to make it up later. But usually longer vacations I make sure to take a complete break, otherwise what's the point.

5 miles this morning. It's hot. :cry:
Blather: I've posted on FB, baby bunnies are the exciting thing around here. Though right now I see only one. :cry:

Bonus: Lawn mowing company. :blush: What can I say we suck.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / TuesDaily