Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Inked Wednesday
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-12 10:57 AM
On yesterday's topic of tattoos...tell us about your tattoos, if you have any. If you don't have any, would you ever get one? If you were to ever get one, what would it be?

Plus the usual
Run/workout
Food/drink
Blather

Bonus: what are the best/worst tattoos that you have seen?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:15 AM
I have 4 tattoos: a yin yang on the back of my right hip, intertwined Celtic-like infinities on the front of my right hip, a heart on the inside of my left wrist, and "still I rise" within an arrow on the inside of my right arm. They all mean something to me, and I wasn't drunk when I got any of them. : pbbt: I don't have plans on getting any more, but I totally would, but I'm not sure what I would get if I got another one.

Run: will be 6 miles after work when it will be 1000* :cry:
Food/drink: The cafeteria downstairs is giving out free ice cream sundaes today at 2pm! :grin:
Blather: I've been exhausted this week. I think my race this weekend took more out of me than I realized, because I don't feel recovered, and I've been really creaky on my runs. And this morning when I got up my calves were sore. :wtf: I have speedwork tomorrow so I guess that will show whether or not I've recovered yet.

Bonus: The guy I know with the Ironman tattoo that he didn't earn (he's only ever completed a half) got a huge tattoo on his inner thigh with Mongols and horses and it's just really big and weird and terrible. :wtf: He also has a portrait of his son tattooed on him that looks pretty awful. Not sure if he has one of his daughter. So many bad tattoos. Fiance has a pretty cool phoenix tattoo on his chest, the colors are really vibrant and it was really well done.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:27 AM
that guys sounds like a dick.

Maybe take the week off from spadework? You did race
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:44 AM
My coach has me doing mile repeats tomorrow, I will ask him if I should skip it. Especially if I'm still wiped out!
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:34 AM
Is you coach having you do speedwork a week after a race? I would skip it.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:45 AM
They are mile cruise intervals. He didn't have me do the 400s yesterday since I had just raced. I will ask him if I should skip.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-12 1:43 PM
Definitely sounds like you may need to skip the speedwork.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 3:20 PM
i'd skip it and probably would've skipped or cut short a really creaky run that didn't get better after 15 - 20 minutes. that's one of the hardest things to get across with coached athletes. just because it's on your schedule doesn't mean you should do it. that sounds like a lot of reasons to skip it.

your tattoos sound perfect for you.  :cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 3:41 PM
that sounds like a lot of reasons to skip it.  Yep.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-13 7:21 AM
Holy crap. I was panting and sweating walking back a few tenths of a mile back to my house from the train station yesterday.

Your fiance's tattoo sounds cool. IM wannabe sounds like such a douche.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:26 AM
hey there! On a town hall conference call so I can post and listen...

I have a small tattoo on my left hip. It is a daisy, I got it when I was 19. It is fine, but I don't love it. I think about getting another one but I'm not sure what it would be!

Run was 7 on the treadmill
food-just had some leftover rice and lentils.

blather This week is just dragging. ugh.
Today has been kind of a shit show. I had a doctor appt this morning that went late, on the way home I was talking to R and asked her something about dropping off N. Turns out, he had forgotten to give her some of her stuff so I swung by his lab got her stuff and ran it to her school-this was all on my way home. Finally make it home and now getting ready to get on the phone for meetings/calls and a smoke detector is going off. And it's the one in my office so I can't even ignore it. Why do those things always go off at the worst time?

Bonus-I think any that are faces are pretty bad. I have a few friends who just have some that are beautiful in their artistry, with gorgeous forms and colors.
My favorite-my cousin who is a few years older than I am has been a Madonna fan since we were kids. It is kind of funny, he is a middle aged man who is still a groupie. A few years ago he was at an event and got her to sign his arm with a sharpie-he went right out and had it tattooed. On anyone else I would :roll: but for him it is perfect. He has been a fan forever, the fact that he has her signature from elbow to shoulder makes sense.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:34 AM
Ugh yeah, Everything always hits at the same time.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:42 AM
Your cousin's tattoo sounds perfect for him! :cool:

Ugh on your shitshow day. :cry: Hopefully it improves!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-12 1:41 PM
At least his tattoo is accurate for her handwriting?:wtf::roll:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 3:17 PM
i love tattoo stories like that.  :hug:

i keep thinking of more seattle things to do.. :laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 3:42 PM
Great tattoo story!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-13 7:23 AM
Was it the smoke detector battery? I got so pissed off at ours going off at the worst times, we are transitioning to Nest. They give low battery indicator lights with a mobile notification (e.g. Battery is very low, device will begin to chirp soon). We're replacing them one at a time.

That's a cool tattoo story.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:43 AM
No tattoos on me, no plans to get one. If I got one? Something on my shoulder, I think some of those are really pretty.

Usual: Actually made it to swim today. :grin: Then followed it up with a 4 mile run, 1.5 of those with Pepper, so lots of stops.
Food: Home for lunch, Indian stuff, dal and rotis

Blather: Nothing much. Just work stuff. Frustrating, but I am trying to let it slide and talking to recruiters. We have a new guy who is asking some of same the questions I have, so at least I know it's not just me wondering what the heck these people are doing. :roll:

Bonus: Hmm can't think of any off the top of my head.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-12 11:46 AM
Yay for making it to swim! I am super intimidated by swimming and biking with groups. I'm always afraid I'm going to be the slowest. :roll:

Sorry to hear that your new job is so frustrating. :sad: I am glad you are doing something about it though.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-12 1:41 PM
Bankers are ALWAYS frustrating!!!!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 9:16 PM
:laugh: That's what my dad said when I was whining to him.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 3:16 PM
yay for a swim! i'll bet it was nice to be back. I've been going aqua running in the lake when we have swimmers out swimming. it's been fun! (

i'm glad you are taking next steps for the job. it sounds awful.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 3:44 PM
Good job getting in the swim and the run.  Pepper :hug:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-12 12:23 PM
I have no tattoos and plan on never getting any!  In lieu of tattoos, I have several places on my body where my dermatologist has left his mark.  Some are faint lines where he made inclusions & stitched me up and a couple are spots he just scrapped skin off but I now have keloid scars.  I see him for my semi-annual visit later this month.  I have a tiny thin line on the outside of my left knee from having a bit of "debris" removed that the surgeon couldn't get with his scope.  There's a chance, at some point in the future, I could sport a major mark on my right hip if I ever get a "replacement part" but I'm not currently entertaining that...at the moment. :roll:

My workout today was teaching cycling class & then doing core & shoulder PT exercises.  My shoulder has been doing pretty well.  I've been swimming at or close to a mile 2-3 times per week with no ill effects.  I've also added a couple of pounds to the weights portion of the PT exercises I do for it.  Baby steps.....

We had six bus loads of middle & HS kids from an organization in Philly come to our club's race last night.  On a good night, with not super hot weather (it was a bit under 90 degrees last night) we typically get 80-100 runners.  We had 298 last night.  That's 60 less than our series record set when this group came last year but still a large turnout.  I spent much of this morning entering finishing times, names, genders and ages into a spreadsheet & then posting the results on our club's web site.  I enter the times recorded first and then I'm in suspense wondering if I'll wind up with the same number of finishing times as I have bib tear offs...both were 298 this time! :happy:  When they don't match I have to get "creative" :shocker!:

Bonus:  any facial tattoos.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-12 12:39 PM
:shocker!: That is a lot of racers on a hot night!!! :cool::cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-12 1:40 PM
Yay for matching up 298 runners!!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 3:11 PM
nice! any ideas why so many runners?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:39 PM
Sure, it was expected.  For several years an organization in Philly, Students Run Philly Style, has brought their group to one of our races.  Their organization has just a few paid staffers and relies on volunteer running coaches/mentors for their "teams" (actually schools - middle schools thru high schools).  Their funding is primarily corporate donations and they cover all costs for the students, including race entry fees.  Since we've had a "full time students run free" policy for the 25 years we've put the race series on, it's  a good fit for them and while they do reimburse us the entry fees for their adult coaches who run the race it's only $5. 

Long before they existed we targeted the HS age group (16-19) and do awards 5 deep in that age group while the others are 3 deep.  We expand the 15 & Under awards to 5 deep for this race in consideration of the also large field in that age group.

They are the only runners I preregister and I also consult with them when I set the schedule up (in January) so that the night they come we just have one race distance...keeping it simple!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 3:48 PM
So you have dermatology tattoos, they're permanent, just ink free.

That's a LOT of runners.  Congrats on the numbers matching up!  :cool:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:04 PM
That's a lot of runners for a weekday race!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-12 1:39 PM
I don't have tattoos but plan on getting a small, discreet 26.2 on my back when I run my 50th marathon or beyond race......if all things go well, that will be in November.  I don't see it being bigger than a half dollar and would only be visible if I was wearing a razor back, so basically when I am working out and never at work. 

4.5 miles with my neighbor this morning.  I am skipping boxing class tonight as some friends invited us to a game of the local minor league team which we always enjoy going to.....but not a on a work night.:meh:  Blazerman was excited to go, so I agreed but plan on leaving by 9:00.  I had a delicious shrimp & grits dish for lunch!!! YUM!!!!

Blather: I had to go to our Dallas office this morning so of course, three lanes of the highway were closed due to an accident near my office which backed me up nearly 15 miles.  :cry::roll:

Bonus: I also hate any tattoo of a face, they all look crummy.  I do not understand any who gets there face and neck tattooed.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 3:10 PM
thursday evening sorta counts as less of a work night. :wtf:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 3:51 PM
Your drive into downtown :cry:

We have fond memories of minor league baseball :hug:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:06 PM
Ugggg! That's the worst.

I love the idea of a 26.2 on your back.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-12 1:50 PM
No ink for me. I have no plans to get one but if I did it would be running related. Maybe I could charge a running company big $$$ to advertise on my gigantic calfs. :laugh:

5 miles at noon in hot, humid conditions. Running 5 miles shouldn't suck that much. We had an ice cream social at work so that has eased the pain a little.
I'm working on clearing out some beer singles that have been accumulated in the last few months. Had a Prairie Ale last night that was exceptional.

Bonus: Nothing specific comes to mind, but we did notice that almost everyone in Alaska has tattoos. Maybe it keeps them warm in the cold winter?
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 2:28 PM
Running 5 miles shouldn't suck that much.  I know that feeling well.   But you ran at noon? :shocker!:
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-13 6:57 AM
But you ran at noon?

He is nooner. It's what he does.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:30 PM
Calf billboards! You might be onto something! :brilliant:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:45 PM
A running buddy I've known for >20 years had a Daffy Duck tattoo on his upper arm since before I met him.  A couple of years ago when he turned 50, he got a Road Runner tat on one calf and Wile E. Coyote on the other :roll:  At about the same time he split up with his wife.  I don't think the tats were the cause but perhaps representative of a direction he was trending.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:16 PM
Oooh brilliant. My calf muscles could hot several. :laugh:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 1:55 PM
No tattoos and never plan to have any.  Funny story though:  Back story, my parents were extremely conservative.  We were not allowed to wear make up nor have our ears pierced, etc., so of course, the idea of a tattoo was completely out of the question.  Anyway, a few years after my dad died,  Mom went to Fla to visit family.  My cousin's husband manages a souvenir shop in Panama City, and she stayed at their house.   She returned from the trip in the evening, and early the next morning she suffered a stroke.  Of course, I drove from Kansas to Colo Spgs to see her at the hospital.  When I got to her she was moving in and out of consciousness, but when she turned over, I saw a huge, garish tattoo of a dolphin on her shoulder :shocker!:  When she finally did come around, she had a speech aphasia and didn't explain the tatt, but she rolled her shoulder and kind of grinned :evil::roll:  I called my cousin and had a WTF talk with her.  She told us it was a strong but temporary tattoo that her kids had talked Mom into getting.  Well fine.  Only thing was, Mom was working for the University, and several professors and a dean came to visit her, and there she was with her tacky tattoo and no way to really explain it.  I was so glad when the damn thing wore off, but it makes me laugh to remember her letting her freak flag fly a little. :grin:

Today's run was 6 x 1/2 mile repeats that were no fun.  I thought if I took an extra day and tried them on Wed instead of Tues they wouldn't suck so much.  I was wrong.  I think intervals in the summer just suck.  Maybe intervals at any time just suck.  When I was running back to house, I found DH out taking a walk.  He warned me that there might be rain coming :roll: I was already saturated with sweat and I asked him what difference it would make :roll::laugh:  Wouldn't you know, I got back safely and it never did rain :mutmad:

Bonus:  Tie between the bride whose bright blue (and ugly) tattoo showed through the lace on the shoulder of her wedding dress (why not put some gauze over it, cuz, girl, that looks awful) or one of my co-workers who has a huge collection of tatts all over that are very different styles and colors, so there's no consistency, no coherent statement.  It's a safe bet that alcohol was involved with a few of her acquisitions.  She's cleaned up her act a lot, but the ink remains.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 2:42 PM
ok, i love that story about your mom!  :laugh: :hug:

i just always hope that the tattoo was meaningful for them at the time. and that way i can understand just leaving it as is as it represents who you were at the time.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-12 3:03 PM
Oh, rain would have felt great after a sucky hot speed workout. Sorry it missed you.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:28 PM
Great story about your Mom.:hug:

Yes, spadework in summer just sucks!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:20 PM
Ugh, running anything remotely fast sounds so unpleasant.

That's such a great story about you mom's tattoo. :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 2:36 PM
none here. i would get one (california poppies in stylized arts and crafts motifs in a discreet place) but DH is very against them. :wtf: I like tattoos especially the ones that are very well designed and obviously well thought out. :laugh: I really don't like tattoos on neck, face or hands however. 

Ran 3.5 miles this morning very fast. I can't seem to slow down lately. Not sure if that is because i've been more awake and anxious when running in am or just because i'm faster. I'm hoping its the latter. : pbbt: Anxious because I've been behind at work although iv'e been catching up. we finally finished the training group last sunday with the half marathon. it went well. Ragnar relay is this weekend and i'm captaining two teams. :shocker!: We had to replace a runner last minute on the ultra team after replacing 3 runners over the last 2 weeks. This guy agreed to do the ultra team as of last week but then suddenly decided yesterday that "he didn't feel like it." :meh::mutmad: and didn't understand why his friend (and co-captain of the team) wouldn't just blow it off.  I'm frankly glad he's pulled off as i can't imagine he'd be good on a team or with anything where you have to commit. :mutmad: I am on the regular team and gave myself the least amount of miles in van 2. I am looking forward to just relaxing and having fun now that all the pesky organizing is done.  :grin:

van food. van food is coming. i'm trying to eat all the veggies today. : pbbt:

bonus: worst tattoos look like someone had something done while drunk and in college. they do seem to have good ways to cover those. A friend of mine (in her 50s) had a tattoo done that said "speak" in a very large elaborate script on her forearm. I was rather surprised by it as it didn't appeal to me but i hoped it was meaningful for her. I guess it was not to her liking however because a couple years later she had it completely hidden with a fanciful bird motif.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-12 3:02 PM
That's good that you can't slow down!  :cool:

Geez, yeah commit already, or at least give an injury explanation!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 3:38 PM
Hell yeah, you're faster :cool:

Relays are so hard to execute.  Being captain for one team would be tough enough, but TWO?  :shocker!:  I hope you have some well-earned fun!!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:19 PM
Blazerman is also very against tattoos, but when/if I get mine, it will be so small, and it is my body, I don't care. But Boy 'O Boy.....s he pissed Blazergirl got one!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 9:16 PM
ultimately i've decided at this point i don't care enough one way or the other to get one. that could change.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:34 PM
There are definitely some beautiful tattoos out there.

Dont' feel like it? WTF? Did you find a replacement?
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 9:18 PM
The back up plan has always been to push someone from regular team to ultra team and then i run two legs on the regular team. so that was very doable but we do have a few who are very low mileage runners so it pushes them a bit more than i'd like. Fortunately we found someone who will be a good fit. Fast woman which is nice as there is only one other woman on the ultra team.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-12 2:58 PM
No tattoos here. Not my thing, but I don't mind small discrete ones on other people. Actually I don't mind them at all on other people I just don't see the attraction.

No run today. Planet of fitness and lawn mowing for activities. Planer of fitness is done, mowing is about to begin. Power dive into the pool after that. Oh, and dog walking too but just a mile in the hood.

Food/drink. Basil garlic tomato pasta tonight plus a salad. Beer. Ballast Point Manta Ray or Watermelon Dorado. That one is sneaky strong.

Blather: Scrolling through my MRI and seeing all these huge white spots I do not even know how I ran 60 miles last month and how I trained for that damn race. I guess I should wait until it's explained to me next week.

Bonus: I don't know but face tattoos sort of freak me out. I expect the person with the face tattoo to lose it at any moment!  :laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-12 3:21 PM
i hate waiting for the follow up. :cry:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 3:40 PM
Maybe all the white spots are mile markers?

Bonus:  You must be thinking of Mike Tyson :shocker!::grin:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:35 PM
Sucks about the wait. I wish they didn't leave you to stew and obsess (which is what I do)
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:21 PM
I don't have any tattoos. I once said that if I ever did an IM I would get that tattoo, but I've since given up on swimming so I'm going to go with, I will never get one.:laugh: If I were to get one, which I won't: pbbt:, it would be the logo from the Beast of Burden 100 mile race.

6 drippy humid miles at 6am this morning with a friend- if I hadn't been meeting her, I would have bagged the whole thing.:cry: But we slogged through it, got it done. I still felt sore from Sunday's hilly long run and yesterday's speed work.:roll: Philip and I just walked in from a local Guatamalan restaurant, really good food. I had huevos rancheros with black beans.:hug: Blather: finally cornered a contractor today for an estimate on some stuff, and learned we can't even think about selling our house if we still have any knob and tube wiring, an old oil tank buried on the property, and/or a crappy roof. Our roof is ok, but the first two things... I need to come up with about $30K before I can even get to the more decorative stuff like stripping wallpaper and painting.:cry: I feel a bit nauseous about it, actually:laugh:, but this place has got to go on the market next spring.

Bonus: A few years ago I took the kids to the beach, and there was a large woman, well into her seventies, just covered with tats.  She was in a bathing suit sitting on a beach chair. The tattoos were just oozing everywhere. Neither of my kids have ever shown an interest in tattoos, and I've always wondered if seeing that woman had anything to do with it.:wtf:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-12 7:52 PM
That's the other reason I hesitate to get a tattoo -- seeing one that's old and faded or on a body half again the size it was when the ink was applied does not make for a good endorsement. 

I noticed the dew points in the NE were as ugly as ours here in the valley.  I'm so sorry :cry:

The house :shocker!:  Scary
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:54 AM
I think that tattooed woman't body might have been twice the size it once was.:shocker!:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:39 PM
Ugh house stuff! :cry: Always a money pit.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-13 8:18 AM
Yeah, your bonus. Can you imagine the nursing homes 20-30 years from now!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-13 3:59 PM
:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-07-13 2:24 AM
I just have to delurk when it comes to awful tatoos.  My former co-worker had right above his belly button "The Man" with an arrow pointing up.  Just below the belly button was written "The Legend" and an arrow pointing down. He proudly showed it to all of my (male) co-workers.  I fortunately was spared.  However, he did feel the need to show me - and only me - his nipple ring. :cry:

He recently got married - his 3rd marriage in <10 years and he's only 34.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-07-13 7:15 AM
this post made my morning. Thank you:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-13 7:55 AM
He needs another tattoo on his upper chest or on the neck. Arrow pointing up, with the writing "Dick Head".
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:55 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Truth!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2017-07-13 11:15 AM
Seriously! He was a good natured person, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-13 2:18 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-07-15 1:32 PM
None for me - no plans to ever get any.  Scars - that's a different story.  I earn my body art the hard way!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-15 2:20 PM
I earn my body art the hard way!:laugh:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Inked Wednesday