Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Wednesday NRR
- - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 1:25 PM
Just got my hair done...trimmed and re-colored so it'll look all purty for the wedding. :hug:

Anyone else feeling insanely cute today? :grin:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 1:53 PM
I got my hair cut today as well. :grin:  I dunno about "insanely cute," but at least there's less of it now!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:52 PM
You are beautiful, Swannie, and you rock the short hair in all the photos I have seen.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:17 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-12 2:52 PM
Not insanely cute but insanely tired today. Between being at O's dance late, DH getting home late and the dogs barking when he got home, the storms I think I got 2 hours of sleep. The perk of now riding the bus to work was a little nap on the way home.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:18 PM
Sorry you're so tired.  I hope you got a nap!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 3:54 PM
Since we're talking hair today, anyone want to talk to me about hair dye?  I haven't dyed my hair in years, but I'm thinking about doing it again because my hair is dark brown but is getting an awful lot of grey in it.  It isn't to the point of being a nice silvery grey, though, so I'm noticing that I don't particularly like the way it looks.  My hair is really short (1/4" to 1" at the longest), which I know means any added color would grow out really fast.  Is it worth dyeing?  If so, any tips?  I'd do it myself because it certainly wouldn't be worth paying someone to do it.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:53 PM
With hair that short, I would definitely consider dyeing it at home. So...the theory is that you go lighter as you start to go gray, so you approximate the color you had when you were younger. It tends to be more flattering to your skin as you get older to go for the softer, lighter tones than to go darker, which tends to look harsh.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:21 PM
I haven't actually looked at colors, but I would probably go with a medium brown or possibly a reddish-brown.  It'd be hard to go too much darker without just going for black and I certainly can't do anything toward the blonde end of the spectrum without bleaching my hair.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-12 6:49 PM
I've had good luck with Garnier colors.

You can always start with the semi-permanent first if you're not ready to commit.   

Mine needs upkeep about every 6-8 weeks, you may need more often, but since your hair is short you don't have to worry about damaging it.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-12 6:53 PM
I think this is what I used when I used to go red.  You may want to see if you can make a bottle be at least two applications too. So knowing if the packaging is somehow resealable might be good.

I've also used henna, which can gives tones from red to black. I'd buy it at the Indian grocery store.  Made my hair VERY soft, too!
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-12 6:54 PM
I don't think you can make it be two applications as once it's mixed - it's mixed, but at only $8 it's not a big deal.
Parent - By elmtree Date 2017-07-13 8:50 AM
Unless it's designed to be resealed and stored, do not do that. It can explode.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:22 PM
I figure even permanent color would grow out in fairly short order. :laugh:
Parent - - By Fry [us] Date 2017-07-13 4:56 AM
I like this wash in glaze. Not full color, but does help with the grey and super easy b/c you just wash it in the shower 1x a week.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-13 8:21 AM
Interesting.  Does it do a decent job of adding some color?  The "easy" part is definitely appealing!
Parent - - By Fry [us] Date 2017-07-13 9:28 AM
It adds some color but not full color, so makes my greys much less noticeable but doesn't 100% cover them (also, since it gradually washes out I don't get roots/color line which I hate).

Anyway, I can't bring myself to go through the pain in the neck of doing real color any more...although maybe I will in another 5 years. Given a bottle is about 10 bucks and works for 3-4 washes for me (and my hair is almost to my waist), it is probably worth trying to see if you are happy with it. Given your short hair one bottle will definitely last you.  I just put it on in the shower (once a week) after I wash my hair, shave my legs (also only once a week :laugh:) and then rinse it after the end of my shower. Works well enough for me to feel less self conscious about my greys and is super easy.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-13 9:56 AM
Ok, thanks!  That does sound like the type of thing that might work well for me.  Dyeing hair isn't that difficult but I'd rather not do it if I don't have to.  I'm not totally committed to covering all the grey -- I just want a better color overall -- so that might work well.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-13 7:24 AM
I use the Natural Instincts semi-permanent color. It gradually washes out over 6-8 weeks, so you don't end up with the grey skunk line. It's just a nice, gradual fade that you can refresh at any time.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-13 8:21 AM
Thanks!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-12 4:29 PM
Ministicky flew solo last night - no diapers. Nothing but a thin layer of cotton undies and flannel footies between him and the world. I took him to pee before I went to bed, and no accident! He cried last night saying he didn't want a diaper again. I'd wanted to buy more mattress covers before, but gave in, and who knew. Turns out he is ready.
Parent fail. We probably should have listened to him already a few weeks ago.

And no, I don't feel insanely cute. It's freezing cold and since it never really is, we don't have appropriate clothes. We're all in layers. I feel like the marshmallow man.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 4:42 PM
Yeah for Mini!  Mattress covers are probably still a good idea, though, because it seems that even kids who are ready still have accidents sometimes...

I WANT YOUR FREEZING COLD.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-12 4:58 PM
He has one on there now, but it's getting old and I'm not confident it would contain a full onslaught  rather than just a diaper leak. Plus having a few extras available for accidents would be useful. So we will still go this weekend. :)

It's accompanied by 140km/hr wind gusts and the usual flying trampolines. Still interested? I just narrowly avoided someone's laundry basket in the middle of the road.
Our neighbours, btw, hang out laundry rain or shine. I wonder f they even bother with a washing machine. Maybe  they just douse it with detergent and then hang it out for the rain and wind to take care of it.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 6:07 PM
Oh, lord. That kind of wind and cold does NOT sound fun.

Re: the laundry, my Norwegian host mother grew up on a farm in the Telemark district under the Nazi occupation. Even though she and my host father are wealthy, she still retains a lot of thrifty, no-electricity habits from her youth, like the fact that she will hang laundry outside to dry even when it is snowing outside, and the laundry just freezes solid. Her kids kept staging stealth revolts where they would seize the laundry off the line while she was out and run it through the dryer.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:17 PM
So she owned a dryer but just refused to use it? :laugh:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:42 PM
Yeah. The rest of us used it, but she was stubborn.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:16 PM
I don't mind a breeze, but that's a bit much. : pbbt:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:41 AM
I'd recommend getting a couple and layering mattress cover, sheet, mattress cover, sheet, so in the middle of the night you're just yanking off soiled linens, changing the kiddo and everyone goes back to bed.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-07-13 10:46 AM
Ooh, that is brilliant.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-13 12:19 PM
We did this with the crib too.  I think someone here recommended it a thousand years ago when my kiddos were wee pups.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-14 12:51 AM
Genius! Thanks!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 5:54 PM
Yay for a dry Sticky!

Wait...that sounded weird.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:11 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-14 12:51 AM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 6:13 PM
I had a bit of a revelation last night, when I woke up around 4 a.m. and found my brain spinning with anger over my first marriage, and XH, and certain issues that still bother me, like his treatment of Ratbag, and his neglect of the cats.

Many people have told me how important it is to let go of that anger and frustration and move forward, but honestly, it feels like so much of it was unacknowledged during my marriage that I NEED TO EXAMINE IT, and acknowledge the fact that I am angry as hell, and upset, and hurt, before I can let go of it. I mean, I felt so lonely and unsupported and maxed out for so many years, but bulled forward like it was normal, business as usual, that I need to let myself feel that it was a bad situation, and to recognize it for what it was.

However, I felt a click last night after I let this stuff churn for a while, in which I realized I am simply tired now of feeling angry and powerless. It's time to pay more attention to the present, and to the good things, than to dwell on the past. I am in a very good situation, seriously the best I could ever wish for, and it is worth my full attention.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-12 6:33 PM
:cool::cool: good job on the breakthrough.  When you are going through hell--- keep going!
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-12 6:52 PM
is your counselor good with helping you work through these things?  4 am anger fits don't sound like much fun. :sad:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 7:15 PM
...actually, I haven't been able to meet with him yet because of scheduling conflicts. I am apparently not crazy enough to not get bumped in terms of appointments. I may need to find someone less in demand.

And frankly, the fact that I am only having these middle-of-the-night inner-voice churn sessions only once a week or less is really good. I *was* waking up nightly from about 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. for nearly two years straight with my teeth grinding and my head churning with anxiety, anger, hurt and, frankly, a desire for violence against certain individuals, or against myself. It has been amazing to feel those impulses go quiet and gradually start receding. I do not know, looking back, how I managed to maintain even a facade of normality during waking hours. It's been a rough road. :meh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:15 PM
There's certainly plenty to be said for not getting angry about things you can't control, but if you've learned that you aren't allowed to be angry there's also a lot to be said for allowing yourself to be angry for a while. :hug:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 7:16 PM
Exactly. It's about making your inner self realize that boundaries are good and necessary and ought to be enforced.  That is a lesson I didn't learn early enough.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-13 8:32 PM
:hug::hug:  I'm glad that you are ready to move on emotionally from the past.  You bottled up all your anger for so long; it's good to have it all come out.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-12 6:56 PM
definitely not feeling cute.

I let my dentist talk me into professional bleaching for my teeth.   Holy batman this hurts!   Had it done at 4:00, and it's almost 9 and I'm still very ouchy. As in "this is a great weight loss plan because I am never opening my mouth again!"  :cry:

never again do I let my vanity get the better of me. : pbbt:   I'm old and that's ok. : pbbt:: pbbt:: pbbt:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-12 7:13 PM
Ouch. :cry:  I hope you end up with shiny white teeth out of this :grin: but :meh: to your dentist for selling you a cosmetic procedure.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-12 7:19 PM
they look good, but not sure yet if it's worth it.  Will see how I feel tomorrow. : pbbt:

(i must admit, I am a total wimp about dental pain.  I would rather do almost anything than go to the dentist....)
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 7:15 PM
Your gums hurt? :sad:
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-12 7:18 PM
gums are fine - it's the teeth.

You'll read online about "zingers" and BOY are they right.    Like someone is stabbing you in the tooth.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-12 8:40 PM
Ouch!!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-13 4:46 AM
:shocker!::cry:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-07-13 4:23 AM
:cry::cry: sometimes I really hate my city. Twice now in a few months I had to call the police while running. :cry: this time I was running the asphalt loop behind the middle schools. On my second to last lap two young men (18-25?) approached me and said they were going to do something on the field, did I mind? Umm why would I care? I asked if they were going to do something athletic. At the high school guys do weird crap at the track on occasion for football (I assume).  No, they said they had to "test some products and it would be loud." What kind of products? I asked. They walked away - and I never was that close to them to get a great description. I don't get close to people that time of the day.. they walked to the other side of the loop and I heard two gunshots. They darted down the sewer easement (where they came from) and then came back and did it again. :cry: you better believe i hoofed the other direction. The janitor had just gotten there and I ran inside his storage room, but he didnt speak good English. So I ran to my car and drove across the street and called the police. Apparently other people called and reported gunshots. The police came and I talked to them. He brought up the possibility of explosives, not gunshots. That could be it. I didn't actually see a gun. My vision sucks and they were across the field.  But I know what bottle rockets and firecrackers sound like. It wasn't that. But anyhow, it blows. I doubt I will ever run there again.  And I really hate to tell my DH. He won't be happy with me out anywhere running again.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-13 4:46 AM
:shocker!::cry::mutmad:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-07-13 5:01 AM
And our secretary's DH found someone stabbed in front of their business yesterday afternoon. With all of the shootings and crap happening during daylight hours, no time seems great anymore.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-13 5:53 AM
Oh my. That's awful!
How are you aside from all that? Family good?
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-07-13 6:21 AM
Yeah. We are doing well. Ticking on through the summer. DH starts back to school on the 31st! I'll send you a PM...
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-13 11:43 AM
Got it, responded
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-14 12:58 AM
:shocker!: yikes. How awful.
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-13 7:26 AM
:shocker!::cry::cry:

Stay safe!!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-13 8:24 AM
:shocker!::cry:  WTF is up with your city?  You shouldn't be encountering much of anyone at the time of morning when you run, much less people "testing products." :meh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-07-13 11:21 AM
It was actually right at 6am, so not ungodly early. It was daylight, or at least sort of.

That was the most scared I've been while running in over 20 years. I had one other incident 2 days before I got married. But I've been wigged out about it.  But when I told the officer where I worked and that Ive been running for 20 years at this time, he replied that yeah - he's seen me out all the time for as long as he can remember. : pbbt:

I'm finally ready to carry pepper spray or something. I emailed my friend, our sheriff, for his suggestions. One thing that freaked me out the most is that I am well aware that in an attack by a person, my chances are not great to get away - but I would have a chance. With two people attacking, the chance would go to zero.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-13 2:51 PM
Maybe not zero but much, much smaller. Few women could fight off two men unless the woman has had combat training. Even then it might not be sufficient.
Parent - By j.c. [ca] Date 2017-07-13 8:31 AM
:shocker!: :cry:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:11 AM
:shocker!::cry:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:54 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-13 8:25 PM
:shocker!::cry::cry:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Wednesday NRR