Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursday the macabre, NRR
- - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-07-13 6:50 AM
:meh:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-07-13 7:04 AM
An eviscerated bunny on our front stoop, just outside the door.  You know, where you would place your foot when stepping through the door & the door is still blocking your full field of vision.  Thank goodness we didn't walk the dog first this morning.  That would have been a mess of epic proportions.

Our best guess is the red fox that I saw earlier this week.  It was not a large bunny, and I think a coyote could have taken it cleanly.  We did not hear any fight, and the porch was clean and clear at 11:00pm last night when I walked the dog.

House update - 20 years or so ago, when the major renovations were done, the homeowner filed permits for "minor remodeling" that did not include expanding the footprint, gut/refinish everything, and a wee little 3 foot incursion into the setback.  There was no variance filed or granted.   Come forward to present, when we  wish to make some exterior modifications to the house and file for permits like good little property owners - well, modifications cannot be granted for a non-compliant home.

At least the building permit/inspection guy is reasonable & will allow us to file concurrently for the previous work and our own plans.   His assistant wanted us to file first for the variance to the original work, have that approved (~6 weeks total time); THEN file for the work we are planning (another ~6 weeks).
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-13 8:17 AM
:shocker!:  An eviscerated bunny is not a good way to start the morning. :cry:

:meh: to the former homeowners.  Not surprising, given the way they've done everything else, but still an unnecessary hassle for you.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-07-13 9:19 AM
Guy from the city had some choice words for how the previous renovation was handled.  And some words for the assistant who was trying to make it difficult for us to bring everything up to snuff.  Because it was our fault the previous homeowner and regime was such a mess?  We bought the house less than a month ago, it's hardly fair to chastise us for trying to get the permits and work up to code.  Heaven forbid someone wants to correct the crap that was done.

Also, who bothers to haul hundreds of pounds of shingles into the basement, trudge them through the open rooms & put into the crawlspace?  Why not leave them in the garage under a shelving unit?!  ugh.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-13 9:38 AM
this all sounds like an episode of Flip or Flop
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-07-13 9:54 AM
It isn't that bad, really.  We did know about all the work going into this house.  The lack of a variance for the setback is merely annoying, it is just paperwork and bureaucracy to wade through.

But, the trash left in the crawlspace - painfully common for sellers to leave trash, etc. in a house.  "Why should I move it? I don't want it. The new owner didn't pay me enough to move this stuff out, too!"   I've heard of a case where there was so much debris, the offer to purchase included the condition that all of it would be removed from the premises and disposed of by the seller.

I keep reminding myself of the house down the road that has a garage so short I could hit my head on the ceiling.:roll:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-13 10:01 AM
oh yea I get leaving stuff, but in my mind I'm thinking these shingles were stored there for a long time?  When I bought my house 10 years ago they had a bunch of paint and junk in the attic and I remember having the realtor remind them to get their crap out and we even checked on it before closing to make sure that they got it all out because I wasn't going to deal with it.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:24 AM
The shingles match the current roof, it was put on in 1994.  : pbbt:

I don't mind the random extra tiles, paint, flooring, etc. for repairs.  But the shingles - there was a TON of extra shingles & they're not exactly light to haul around for the heck of it.

Plus, a bunch of old window blinds, and extra slats. :wtf: Enough for re-doing all the windows of the entire house at least once.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:47 AM
Agreed. Sellers don't want to move stuff out, especially if the buyers haven't noticed it and especially if the sellers are already far away in their new home.

We found a cookie jar (still have it) in the cupboard, a whole lot of junk in various places, and a car in the garage. The sellers did want that.
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:55 AM
The house next to us was a foreclosure about 7 years ago. When the new owners (our current neighbors) took possession of the house they needed 2 industrial-sized dumpsters to clean out everything that was left behind.  The old owners also looted what they could and sabotaged a good deal of the rest of the house. :meh: Fortunately our now-neighbors are in the construction business, so they knew what they were getting into and had the experience and resources to fix everything.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:46 AM
Ugh on the eviscerated bunny. Agreed on the fox -- if it was a coyote you'd likely have found head, paws, and tail and that's it. I hope whoever stepped out was wearing footwear.

House -- yikes. That does not sound like minor remodeling to me. Glad they are being reasonable.

Filing for permits -- sigh.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:57 AM
Huh. Not a fun sight to see as soon as you step out of the house. But a good warning to watch your pets.

The house. OMG. The permit mess.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-13 8:08 AM
Still at my work retreat, but it ends after lunch today. :sad: It has been an amazing year of learning with these leaders and I'll be sad for the program to end. I really hope we will stay in touch. We made a pact that the first person to become a college president has to take the rest of us to the swank retreat center across the street.:laugh:

On the down side. My front tire is very low. I filled it yesterday and it is low again today. I'm going to fill it again before I drive home and hope it makes it all the way, so I can get a new tire tomorrow instead of at some random place on the way home today!

In other news, I woke up about once an hour last night coughing up clear liquid from my lungs. I did this about every 2 hours yesterday as well. I am going to call my doctor when their office opens at 8 and see if I can get an end of the day appointment (or first thing tomorrow, though I don't really want another night like last night). It is really unpleasant. :meh:

And for those of you following along at home, my "swim with the seal" video is posted on FB.  I hope to put it on my blog soon too.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-13 9:39 AM
you swam with a seal??
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-13 8:40 PM
Glad you had a good retreat! 

I just had a tire fixed and it had a screw in it.  I can get it fixed for free where I bought them; so that is good.

Hope you can get a good treatment on that cough.  :sad:

The seal is so cool!  I watched on my phone at work and then made sure to watch on my laptop so I could actually see something!  Stupid tiny phones.  Just an amazing experience!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-13 9:28 AM
Speaking of macabre, Have the 4 missing young men from Bucks County PA made the national news?
I've been following it since they first started talking about it and I immediately thought they were gone for good (ie foul play), but that was just my gut instinct. Apparently I was right though :sad: One of the young men is from a town 15 minutes up the road from us. It's just so sad, and I'm following along to find out what's going on. Already they person they've arrested as a person of interest, neighbors are saying what a great guy he is. It makes me sad for the 4 families and however many other families might be involved.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-07-13 9:39 AM
International...although I think the BBC/Guardian slant my news to this side of the Atlantic based on my IP address. I haven't read much about it but just the headlines sound horrific :sad:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-07-14 3:24 AM
Yes, it's been in the news here too. Horrible. :sad:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-13 9:40 AM
i haven't heard that story but how sad :sad:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-13 5:36 PM
I just saw it on NBC nightly news. Said the person of interest confessed
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-13 10:17 AM
I have seen a bit about it, I think from the NY Times and the AP.  I won't say I've been following closely, but I did see that they arrested a suspect, were searching a farm, and had found a body.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-13 11:46 AM
They found a "common grave" but only one identified body. So who know if the others are actually the current missing ones or others. And they haven't said the guy in custody is the one who did it, just that he is a person of interest. 5mil cash bail this time though  :shocker!:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:51 AM
I hadn't seen that but I haven't yet read the weekend's LATimes and NYTimes and the Montana/Spokane papers were all atwitter about the earthquake.

Wow. I'm sure there's a lot going on that hasn't been announced to the press yet.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-13 10:59 AM
It made it onto our news out here, but only briefly. :sad:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-07-13 11:32 AM
:sad: I haven't seen/heard any formal news of any sort for about 2 weeks.  How horrible.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:42 PM
It's big news here in NY. Sad and very disturbing.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-13 4:26 PM
Not macabre or dark. I am joyously announcing that DD passed her MLS (Medical Lab Science) exam! Yay!

She has been studying anxiously for some time.

So now she can come back to CA and get a real, honest to goodness, grownup JOB. One that has regular hours. And benefits. :grin::grin::grin:

Thanks to all of you who have seen this saga through -- it actually started on this forum lo these many years ago.
http://runango.com/forums/topic_show.pl?pid=4950949;hl=pharmacy

A chat about colleges and educational requirements on this forum and a subsequent exchange of private messages started her on the road to a different state, and after a frustrating couple of runs at organic chemistry she switched from pre-pharmacy to medical lab science which is suiting her much better. She's looking forward to it.

So, so relieved. :grin::hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:23 PM
Huzzah for DD!! Congratulations to her!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-14 9:43 AM
:grin:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-07-13 5:25 PM
:shocker!:  How is she old enough to have a job?  That's great!  That sounds like a career that could open a lot of doors for her - can she work anywhere in the US or does each state have its own exam?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-14 9:43 AM
Anywhere in the country, I think. I don't know of any state that doesn't accept this exam as qualification. California requires more training than most, she had to do a full year of lab work which caused her to take more time to finish, and she should be able to get her California license having passed this exam and met the educational requirements.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-13 5:37 PM
Awesome! Congrats!

What kind of job does this degree lead to?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-14 9:46 AM
Medical lab scientist. You know how in the hospital someone may take your blood, spinal fluid, or samples of other body components or products and then goes away and tests it to figure out what, if anything, is unusual and what that might lead to? That's a medical lab scientist. (The person who actually takes the blood is a phlebotomist, the tester is a medical lab scientist.) Lots of jobs, in hospitals, clinics, labs, and other places.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:44 PM
Congratulations to DD!:cool:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:55 PM
Congrats to DD!
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-13 6:01 PM
congrats!:cool:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-07-13 7:40 PM
Hearty congrats! :hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-13 8:37 PM
:cool::cool:  Yay!  Congratulations to DD!
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-07-14 3:26 AM
Congrats!!! :grin::cool: Good for DD!
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-14 7:08 AM
Hooray!!!!!!
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-07-14 9:52 AM
:cool::cool:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursday the macabre, NRR