Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Holy Heat Batman! It's the Thursday Daily
- - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-13 11:08 AM
I know our friends in Texas deal with this for longer periods of time than us but it's HOTT here in the NE today!

Whacha got?

Heat? 

Run/workout? 

Food/drink?

Blather?

Bonus:  How hot is it?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-13 11:16 AM
All the "local" runners are complaining on social media about the heat & humidity and many are diverting to the dreadmill and other indoor means for their cardio workouts today.  Swimmers seem to be the most delighted :roll:

I'm teaching indoor cycling class this evening in a climate controlled cycling studio!: pbbt:

I had a turkey breast/chicken breast sandwich for lunch (used up the last slice of turkey so added some chicken).  Pizza & beer tonight since it's Thursday.

USA Track & Field is holding the National Masters Outdoor championships this week in Baton Rouge, LA.  I'm pretty sure it's hotter & more humid there!  The local running store owner took a 2nd place in the Male 40-44 heat of the 800M late this morning, running 2:03. 

Bonus:  My backyard thermometer says it's 97 but a weather app on my phone says it's "only" 93 :roll:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-13 11:44 AM
Wow - that's cool about the local runner!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-13 2:33 PM
I got up super early to get my run in before work because this weather is awful. And yes it was awful even at 4:30.

Very cool about the local runner! :cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:23 PM
Yay for Thursdays!  :cool:

DH and I heard all the dire warnings on The Weather Channel this morning and may have snickered a little.  The combination of heat and humidity really is wretched though. 

Why would a track meet be scheduled in Baton Rouge at this time of year ?? :shocker!:  Amazing performance by your local runner!
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-13 11:34 AM
Bill and I got out on our bikes before work again today. About an hour. Unfortunately, this will likely be the last before work ride I get to do since I have to shift my hours back to getting into work at 7:30 for a while and I don't have the right lights to ride before sunrise (nor would I want to.)

Blather - I had the unpleasant task of having to terminate someone at work today. That is my absolute least favorite part of being a manager. It was my decision and it was the right decision and the problems leading up to it had been well documented with lots of time and opportunities to fix the problems but it just kept happening so I had to do this. :meh:

Dinner will be at CHOP for a family partner focus group I'm doing. They feed us AND give us free parking.

Bonus - It's hot. Very hot. And very humid. I was not jealous of the runners out there this morning. They looked very... hot. And damp.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-13 11:43 AM
Ugh. Sorry about the firing. That's a shit task, for sure :sad:
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-13 9:12 PM
It's among the worst.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-13 12:02 PM
Having to fire someone sucks.  That and having to deal with chickenshit that some (fortunately, very few) employees pulled were contributing factors for me retiring when I did.
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-13 9:10 PM
I would happily retire if I could. But I have at least 20 years to go.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:28 PM
DH had a boss who actually loved firing people :dick:  Said he'd dress up, go in early, tie his shoes extra tight, etc, etc.  In the end, he got his :mutmad:  Guess he belonged in corporate America. 

Nice you were able to ride instead of run this morning.  Good company and hey, you generated some air flow that probably felt awesome!!
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-13 7:36 PM
Wow, I can't imagine enjoying firing people. It ruins my whole day, even when I don't like the person I am firing. Which today wasn't even the case. I liked the person. Which made it even harder. It must take a special kind of sociopath to actually enjoy doing this.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-14 5:19 AM
Philip would be sick, like literally nauseous, when he had to tell staff about the big layoffs, back when he worked for Goldman.:meh:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-07-13 11:41 AM
Holy crap, it's Fing hot. My house is less than half a mile to train I take to work, and I was sweating by the time I walked there. It was 7:30 :meh:

No run today - too hot. I had a crazy day at work yesterday that required me to be in really early, so I didn't run then either. I think tomorrow is supposed to be cooler, but I am kind of expecting the morning to feel similarly humid and oppressive as it did today.

Food/drink/blather - So, my sister has moved in with me, and she is working a pretty flexible schedule for now. She's a brand new dentist, so she's working 8-2PM. When I got home from work yesterday, I was expecting her to be sleeping or just relaxing, but instead she had made a super awesome dinner of roasted zucchini burgers, sweet potato fries, with a whipped feta spread (!!!). I come in, and she's says, "Oh, go get changed, dinner is almost ready" :shocker!: And then when we're eating, she keeps asking if I want more water. It was kind of comical. We aren't charging her any kind of rent or anything, and I don't know if she feels obligated to do this stuff, but I was almost uncomfortable. I joked to her that this is what men in the 1950s must have felt like :laugh: I think she'll revert back to her casual self soon enough. In any case, I had an awesome dinner last night and am equipped with the leftovers today for lunch :cool:

It is so hot that the apartment complex with the pool on the roof that I can see from my office window hasn't had a single visitor all day. It's mostly in the sun, so I can't say I'm surprised at the empty chairs, but if I had a pool, I definitely would be submerging myself in water today.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-13 12:04 PM
If you aren't charging your sister rent, you should barter for free dental care from her!  :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-13 2:35 PM
Can I come live with you too? That dinner sounds delicious!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:31 PM
I hope you have kinder conditions tomorrow morning.  That's pretty sweet about your sister helping out.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-14 5:24 AM
Yeah, once her work gets going, I'm sure she'll be ordering a pizza for you, at the most. So take advantage of it now! : pbbt:: pbbt:  But I'm sure, if she's any kind of mensch at all, that she does feel like she wants to give back for all your generosity. No rent is huge, at least from the tenant's perspective, and she does have some extra time now.  I think it's really nice that she's doing that!:hug::hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-13 2:31 PM
It is so gross out. It's 90 with a dewpoint of 72 or so. It's supposed to cool down overnight which is great, but the humidity is supposed to stick around. That's the worst part!

Workout: 4 easy miles at 4:30 this morning, no speedwork! My coach agreed with bagging the speedwork this week and making sure I recover from my race. Thanks everyone for the nudge on that yesterday. :hug:
Food/drink: My boss and I were traveling for a client meeting today and needed a quick lunch, so we stopped at Wawa. I ordered a sandwich with avocado. What the ordering kiosk didn't tell me was that the avocado was in the form of a runny spread (I can't even call it guacamole because I don't think it was meant to be guacamole). So here I am, in a nice dress, in the passenger seat of my boss's car, eating the messiest flatbread sandwich with avocado sauce pouring out of it and making the rest of the sandwich ingredients all slippery and end up squirting out of the flatbread. :shocker!::laugh: Fortunately I took a lot of napkins when I got my sandwich and I managed not to get the avocado sauce everywhere. So be forewarned if you ever order avocado on a sandwich from Wawa!

Blather: In a client presentation to about 15 people today I said, "It's kinda creepy, but it's good for marketing" about what I was pitching. I hope they buy it! :laugh::blush:

Bonus: It's so hot that I actually am not covered up with a blanket in my house! :shocker!: I am usually cold with the a/c on, but right now I'm quite comfortable.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:39 PM
Glad your coach agreed to the pass on today's speed work. :wink:

The avocado sauce sounds disgusting.  It's amazing you didn't spill any.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-13 4:37 PM
One of your friends in Texas is counting down the days until she gets to leave the oven that is her current residence and head for New Mexico and Colorado for a short five weeks.
Countdown stands at two weeks. 

It's tough enough just getting through the heat myself, but it really sucks watching my plants curl up and die in the hot wind :cry:  And to ease some of that pain, yesterday I screwed up the courage to ask a lady if she would like to adopt some of my plants.  I run by her yard every day, and often she's out there, tending hers.  I brought my three biggest, prettiest plants over in the evening, and tried to tell her what care they needed, which is tougher than it sounds because this was all happening in Spanish.  She actually recognized two of the three and I could tell she was happy to have them, so although it was hard to let them go, I felt so much better about not leaving them to suffer with nothing but a daily watering from a neighbor who isn't into plants like I am.   Made a new friend, too :cool: 

Today was SDO.  It probably would have been even if it weren't scheduled.  I woke up at 3 :roll: and couldn't go back to sleep.  After a while I picked up my phone and checked the weather app.  It was 83 degrees with a 77 degree dewpoint. BLEAH!!!  

We went to see Spiderman today and had an irresponsible amount of popcorn to go with it.  I actually liked it, but the theater had a super-big screen which of course required super loud volume, so I was on sensory overload by the time it was over.  Maybe it was just all the popcorn

Bonus:  5:30 pm, Temp 97, Heat Index 105, dew point 69 and wind 17 mph from the south.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-13 4:48 PM
Today is crazy warm and it's the day of the social run form the trip Shop. Which is super fun, lots of people show up and it feels like a race.
So I will run 4-5 slow miles then. I got nothing so far. :p

Heat, sure. Though we've had some nice evenings too.
Run/workout: see above
Food/Drink: Nothing exciting, same as yesterday. Dinner will likely be beer and tacos after the run. :D
Blather: One of our homes in our neighbouhood now has this big front proch, like it's South of France or something. So hilarious, as one neighbour put it, I half expect the Pope to walk out.  But some neighbours love it, and wish they could do the same. I mean one one hand I see the value, no more front yard mowing, but egads, the heat off that concrete. :cry:

Bonus: Weather.com tells me 97 feels like 105, pretty normal for the time of the year.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-13 5:45 PM
A group run is the only way I could get in miles in your heat.  Did you notice our conditions are the same?  Ugh!!  I'm so sorry!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-13 6:24 PM
Yes, today was a tough one! None of the dogs I walk wanted to go outside.:laugh: I dragged them out for quick walks, then back into the A/C. 93° at barely noon, and so humid.:meh:

6.2 miles with 2 x 1.5 at tempo. I opted for the treadmill, with water and a fan, and the tempo miles still really sucked. I must have sweated out a gallon.:meh: But I got it done, plus sit-ups and weights.  Had Trader Joe's salad (edamame and kale) for dinner.

Bonus: Too hot! And we haven't gotten more than a drop of rain to cool things down.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-13 6:44 PM
I have to do something like speed work or hill work on TM just to live through the monotony.  Good job making it into a meaningful workout! it is amazing how sweaty and miserable it can be even indoors!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-07-14 5:17 AM
Yes, even my easy runs on the tm are sort of progression runs, I play with the speed all the time.  And a few years ago Corina C. gave me a hill workout for the treadmill that kicks ass! I am never bored with that one.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Holy Heat Batman! It's the Thursday Daily