Warning: rambling vent/'oh, honey' moment ahead. [edit: more than a moment
Just over a year ago my professional life imploded; I was told I hadn't done a good job albeit generally accepted I was set up to fail (but I was *supposed* to rise above that and succeed anyway per my boss). I was moved into a new role which I've actually enjoyed, I started a journey to a new 'career' (by the time I finish education I'll be almost retired so career isn't really the right word!), and I made a new temporary life in Winnipeg with running & friends etc. Just this past week I've been head hunted for roles in my previous specialty by several companies and hiring agencies...and I think I've got an 80% chance of a job offer coming in the next couple of weeks - salary being the sticking point as I suspect they can't meet my current.
Now: just got a call from my dept mgr (matrix org, so he's not related to the project & is in London). The person who took my place last year has quit and they want me to take back the role I "failed" at in addition to my current role...from Winnipeg. This is a role that requires daily meetings with people on site and an in-depth knowledge of what's going on at the site. The big wigs are now apparently accepting of the fact that I was set up to fail. I trust my dept mgr, he wasn't in the slightest involved last year (wasn't in that role at all) and has been trying since January to get me rehabilitated - so I know he sees this as a step in the right direction. I am nonplussed. The people that *were* involved last year haven't had the decency to call me, the role is full time and guess what, I already have a full time role...and it should be on site which apparently isn't on the table. Oh, and one of the reasons I was dropped from a height was I'd pissed off the joint venture partners...no word if they know and/or agree with this latest development.
Argh. I don't really need to decide until I get the other job offer obviously, although I'd be burning a lot of bridges if I take on this request and then quit in 2 weeks time...and I'd feel it was pretty damn shoddy of me. I do have all next week as I'm away. Thoughts are boiling around my brain - it's probably the smart thing to stay & accept this, if I can leverage it into something like getting permanent residency...but I'm not sure it's possible to be successful without being on site most of the time and if they won't entertain a permanent transition then I end up living out of a suitcase in 2 locations with none of the benefits of either.
But I think writing this out & re-reading it will help. Bottom line I will ruminate all week and they go with my gut when I get back.