Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday The Fridge NRR
- - By judyruns Date 2017-07-14 9:02 AM
Post  :grin:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-07-14 9:06 AM
My fridge which is about 20 some years old in this apartment is slowly dying and the new one is coming after lunch! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :cool: I called DC and he came over and helped me move stuff. He said to call him when the new one is installed and he will help me get the stuff all back in place. We had to move a storage cube and table out of the way. The old fridge was freezing stuff (lettuce, celery, casserole, etc.) like crazy and wasn't defrosting correctly.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-14 9:58 AM
So it is pneumonia. :meh: antibiotics and I should get better. No restrictions from work, but I think I'll self restrict from exercise other than possibly gentle yoga. : pbbt: Still coughing up tons of fluid. The antibiotics should start kicking in in about two days.

In better news, the baby chickens are laying!! All three of them.  These cute dark brown eggs! One of them is laying under the nesting box, so we will have to re-train her or get another box.  But their eggs are so cute! Tiny little yolks in them too!:hug:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-14 10:47 AM
Pneumonia? And you have still been swimming and all? :shocker!: Yikes. Well, you should start feeling better fast now that you have abx.

Go, chickens!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-14 2:08 PM
Oh, honey!  :cry::hug:  It's good to get going on recovery, but I know you will miss your swimming. 

Go chickens!!
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-14 2:20 PM
Pneumonia?!?!  Ack!  Good thoughts for a quick recovery!
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-07-14 7:19 PM
Oh no. Take good care of yourself to get the rest you need!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-07-14 9:20 PM
Very best wishes for a quick recovery! Cute eggs. :hug::happy:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-07-14 10:15 AM
Warning: rambling vent/'oh, honey' moment ahead. [edit: more than a moment :blush:]

Just over a year ago my professional life imploded; I was told I hadn't done a good job albeit generally accepted I was set up to fail (but I was *supposed* to rise above that and succeed anyway per my boss). I was moved into a new role which I've actually enjoyed, I started a journey to a new 'career' (by the time I finish education I'll be almost retired so career isn't really the right word!), and I made a new temporary life in Winnipeg with running & friends etc.  Just this past week I've been head hunted for roles in my previous specialty by several companies and hiring agencies...and I think I've got an 80% chance of a job offer coming in the next couple of weeks - salary being the sticking point as I suspect they can't meet my current.

Now: just got a call from my dept mgr (matrix org, so he's not related to the project & is in London). The person who took my place last year has quit and they want me to take back the role I "failed" at in addition to my current role...from Winnipeg. This is a role that requires daily meetings with people on site and an in-depth knowledge of what's going on at the site. The big wigs are now apparently accepting of the fact that I was set up to fail.  I trust my dept mgr, he wasn't in the slightest involved last year (wasn't in that role at all) and has been trying since January to get me rehabilitated - so I know he sees this as a step in the right direction. I am nonplussed. The people that *were* involved last year haven't had the decency to call me, the role is full time and guess what, I already have a full time role...and it should be on site which apparently isn't on the table. Oh, and one of the reasons I was dropped from a height was I'd pissed off the joint venture partners...no word if they know and/or agree with this latest development.

Argh. I don't really need to decide until I get the other job offer obviously, although I'd be burning a lot of bridges if I take on this request and then quit in 2 weeks time...and I'd feel it was pretty damn shoddy of me. I do have all next week as I'm away. Thoughts are boiling around my brain - it's probably the smart thing to stay & accept this, if I can leverage it into something like getting permanent residency...but I'm not sure it's possible to be successful without being on site most of the time and if they won't entertain a permanent transition then I end up living out of a suitcase in 2 locations with none of the benefits of either.

I'm torn :cry: But I think writing this out & re-reading it will help. Bottom line I will ruminate all week and they go with my gut when I get back.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-14 10:52 AM
Why would you go back to the place that already burned you once? Yes, IF it worked out perfectly, there would be some benefits...but the already burned you once. You know it is a dysfunctional culture if they are willing to SET YOU UP TO FAIL, and then say, "Oh, hey, wanna come back and try again?"

If you came back, you'd want a lot more autonomy and authority to put yourself in a position where that couldn't happen again, and more money, benefits and security to make up for the risk that they would still piss on you if anything goes awry.

And even then, it'd be like going back to a dysfunctional relationship with an abusive partner. "Oh, he said he was sorry and brought flowers...it must be okay." Yes, I am being flip, but I'd be personally VERY wary of going back into that situation. Sounds like you are, too.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-07-14 11:10 AM
:shocker!::meh:

Your company's arrogance is amazing. Turn it around - Would they accept back an employee who left for greener pastures, then decided "it didn't work out" and wants their old job back?

:hug::cool: on being courted by the other place, though.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-07-14 11:39 AM
Bearing in mind that you work for a humungous company and there are doubtless lots of sub-cultures, I tend to agree with Zipper and Mickey - this sounds dodgy.

You've been with Current Company for a long time and it's natural to have a sense of loyalty, but don't forget there are lots of other good places to work and clearly you are very marketable, if you are getting head-hunted by other companies and agencies. 

Are you seriously considering permanent residency here?  :cool:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-14 12:49 PM
Oh, honey!  :hug:

So, let me get this straight, if the people that shit on you get you back, you would have 2 full time roles, potentially working with partners who think poorly of you?  And for the same $$ as you are getting now?  Which, face it, is like working for 1/2 price hourly?  Only worse,  since you have to hire out the rest of your life?   It sounds like you like <current role>, and new jobs are with <old role>, BUT, if you stay do you have to do <both roles>?!  Ugh!  And if I remember correctly, you don't really have 40 hours a week extra in your life right now.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2017-07-14 1:37 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:  This sums it up really well.  :hug:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-14 6:34 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Beautiful, Tritri.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-17 6:47 AM

>BUT, if you stay do you have to do <both roles>?!

that's what I am wondering, do you HAVE to take on this other role or is there room to decline?
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2017-07-14 1:13 PM
There is nothing more I can add other than to say I agree with all the ladies who have posted so far!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-14 9:36 PM
Go with your gut. If you get the offer then counter with the salary you want (or higher so you have room for negotiation). If they want you badly enough they'll up the ante.

The set up to fail is bullshit. How can you rise above that when you are being sabotaged?
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-07-15 6:14 AM
Oh Honey.
Is there someone you can confide in who is in your industry but outside enough they could give you an outside perspective?
Why do companies think people will always take on work "in addition" to the work they already do for no extra consideration? And by people 99.9% of time I mean women. Would they ask a man do to that? Doubt it.
Parent - By callie [ca] Date 2017-07-18 10:31 PM
Oh man. :sad: I came searching for your posts to try to catch up on what's been going on in your life lately  and I'm sorry to see this. :cry: message me if you want to chat or an ear. :hug:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-07-14 12:45 PM
Tween struggles with DS1.  Lots more I could say but too tired to type them.  We're all exhausted, but I think we've finally got him the right person to help him through his struggles.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-07-14 12:49 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2017-07-14 1:15 PM
Sending you :hug::hug::hug:

Tweens & teens are just... odd creatures.  It's hard to be a teen.  I love my teens (& young adult) and I think they're the most wonderful creatures on earth, but there are still days where it's like... what the heck do I do with THIS???  :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-07-14 1:37 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-14 2:07 PM
:hug::hug:  I remember reading the book, "Primal Teen", and it was helpful to know all the physical changes that teens are going through, especially the remodeling going on in the brain.  Hope he is helped and you get some rest!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-14 9:36 PM
Oh, honey. You will get through this.
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2017-07-14 1:24 PM Edited 2017-07-14 1:49 PM
I haven't posted on Facebook and I actually didn't come here to say anything, but since Nomad was talking about job changes and Spccer6 was talking about tweens...

I'm going back to work for the public schools.  I'm looking at my contract right now.  General music teacher & choral director for the local middle and high school.  The schools are literally right next door.  1/2 mile to the middle school and 1 mile to the high school.  I can walk to work (as long as I don't mind walking on a highway, so I probably won't.)  This is the HS from which my sons graduated and my daughter will be a sophomore.  She doesn't take Chorus though, so I won't be her teacher!  I'll probably see her from time to time in the Fine Arts department though, since she's in the band.

I still can hardly believe it.  I really enjoyed the past 17 years in ministry and there are many things about it I will miss a lot.  (although I may likely stay on as music coordinator/pianist/lead cantor on Sunday mornings - but that would be it - no other responsibilities outside of the music).  They were very good to me there.  However, I feel strongly called to go in this new direction and serve even more people.

ETA:  I just realized that when I met many of you, it was late 2002 and my sophomore daughter was almost 1 year old.  :shocker!:  Wow, time flies.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2017-07-14 1:37 PM
Wonderful!  A great fit for you.  :cool:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-14 2:05 PM
:grin::cool:  Sounds like the right move!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-14 3:30 PM
Good for you! This is music and chorus only? You're not going to have to put on and direct the musical as well?
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-07-15 6:11 AM
congratulations! yes in 2002 I remember. I didn't even have children yet.
Parent - By j.c. [ca] Date 2017-07-15 3:37 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like a great opportunity.

Time sure does fly by.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-15 4:57 PM
Congratulations!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-17 6:48 AM
:cool::cool:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday The Fridge NRR