Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Saturday/Sunday weekend wanderings RR/NRR
- - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-15 8:57 PM
RR:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-15 8:57 PM
NRR:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-15 9:20 PM
585 pounds of oranges and grapefruit picked from one back yard and donated to the local food pantry.

They know the Food Forward van and when I pull in they are happy to help unload. 585 pounds of fruit = something like 1700 servings of fruit. Picture 1700 sticky little kids instead of 1700 hungry little kids, or 1700 kids who haven't seen a piece of fruit in days. I use that example for the 16-17 year olds who are volunteering as pickers for the first time. The smiles as they envision the recipients of the fruit they picked are worth it.

Especially important during the summer since many children get free breakfasts and lunches through the federal program during the school year but they don't necessarily get these during the summer. Getting fruit to the food pantries is even more critical during these months.

And we had a pile of split grapefruit so I now have several jars of grapefruit marmalade cooling on my counter. I intend to send some to the volunteer who drove me down from the mountain last Saturday.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-16 12:00 PM
Grapefruit marmalade!

And very cool about the donated oranges. That is a LOT of oranges from one single backyard.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-16 1:05 PM
:cool:  It's a wonderful service you are performing.  I'm sure the hungry kids are so happy.
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-07-17 7:56 AM
That is so awesome what you do, T!
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-07-16 11:46 AM
Not a good weekend here.  My BIL had two little white dogs 2 years old, and one was hit by a car and died.  :cry:  The thing that makes me angry is they chain them up outside, they live on a farm next to a busy highway, and 20 times Blu has chewed through Charlie's collar.  Yet, they never built a little fenced-in area for them instead.  He died Thursday and Friday they got a new puppy.  I hope they build a fence soon.  I'm sad, but also angry; but at this point we can't really bring up the fence. 

Saturday, my knee hurt inexplicably and I thought I would bike anyway.  It was one of those days where I really miss all my routes, going far or fast or up hills.  I made it 4 slow, flat miles and turned around since the knee wasn't getting any better.  Huge pain about 2 blocks from home, almost like my ITB seizes or cramps, or something in the knee.  It's hard to tell because it'a a level 10 pain for 2 seconds and I scream and then it's over.  :wtf:  So I one-legged pedaled home and spent the rest of the day icing.  So it hurts, but back on level 3-4 or so, but it's very upsetting because I just want to enjoy my life, dammit!  

Last night, my sister called and said my cousin, who is about 40, committed suicide.  :cry::cry:  This will be the 3rd suicide in our family in the last 18 months.   He is married and has a 12 year old son and no one even knew there was anything wrong.  My Mom's sister had 5 girls and then adopted him when their youngest was 13.  It all is horribly sad that anyone has to be in so much distress that they do this; and it's devastating in a way that a normal death is not.  My brother and SIL will never recover from their son's death.  My SIL has lost so much weight in the last year, you know she is too heartbroken to eat. 

Then this morning on facebook, I see a coworker's son has died.  :cry::cry:  He was 25, just got engaged this week on a beach in Thailand, and fell 150-300 feet while climbing a 14er Saturday morning.  :cry::cry:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-16 12:04 PM
No...not a good weekend at all. :sad::cry:
Parent - - By AmyDel Date 2017-07-16 12:06 PM
they lost a pup Thurs and got a new one on Fri?  wow

A lady down the street from us committed suicide yesterday - I don't know the family, but they had "Happy 1st birthday" balloons on the mail box - just awful.  :(
I finished my behavioral health rotation a couple of weeks ago & on the unit I worked on, there were a lot of suicidal patients.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-16 1:07 PM
Yes!  They did the same thing when they lost their 18 year old dog.  Had these 2 puppies within a few days!  One sleepless grief-filled night and on to the next!  I wanted to say they couldn't get a new one until they built a fence to prevent this kind of loss... 

Oh, how horrible!  :cry::cry:  My sister said suicides are up nationally.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-16 1:51 PM
Geez, what a lousy weekend. :cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-15 9:14 PM
Saturday: 5.2 miles. I had to get back fast because I had to leave at 7:30 to pick up the Food Forward van for a pick -- 9 AM because of hot weather.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-16 7:41 AM
Ran a small local 3.7 mile race yesterday (course is one loop around a lake which is why the weird distance). My goal was to beat my time from 4 years ago but mentally I've been struggling with running so I wasn't sure. It was hot and humid. It is gun start so I knew I'd have to start near front and after a mile pulled in front of the 3 women running near me. About 3.5 someone told me I was 1st woman! I managed to finish 1st about 1 minute in front of 2nd woman. :grin: After awards ran the 2 miles to the kids race to watch O run.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-16 10:25 AM
Congratulations!
Parent - By AmyDel Date 2017-07-16 12:04 PM
1st!  That's awesome!!!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-16 3:23 PM
:cool::cool:  Congratulations!!  First is exciting and watching O run is a bonus!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-16 10:24 AM
Well, I had an interesting run this morning. :meh:  I headed out a couple of minutes after 6.  A couple of miles into my run I got to a long straight away and saw fire trucks coming toward me with their lights on, but they turned into a neighborhood just before they got to me.  About five minutes later, a sheriff's deputy pulled up alongside me and said they were looking for a female in dark-colored clothes who was presumed to be on foot.  The woman they were looking for had been involved in an "incident" and the deputy said they wanted to make sure she was ok.  Then I get another mile up the road and there are at least a half-dozen patrol cars at a house.  A couple of them were partially blocking the road and there were some deputies standing out there, so I asked if they'd found who they were looking for.  They said they had not.  That's the last I saw of this "incident," but I have no idea WTF was going on that involved two different locations and happened before 7am on a Sunday.

The next 8 miles or so were fairly uneventful.  It was gross out and I was miserable and really tired, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Then I stopped for a minute about 12 miles in and was getting really dizzy.  I ended up having to just stop my run at that point and walked the last two -- with a few small stretches of jogging thrown in and lots of stops because I was so lightheaded -- and finally made it back home.  WTF? :wtf::meh:  Up until that point I was feeling awful, but only the normal degree of awfulness that I feel on any long in the summertime.  I've never had that happen before and I can't put my finger on what caused it.  It was warm and very humid, like always, but it was cloudy so the weather was no worse than usual.  I haven't gotten much sleep the past several nights, but that alone shouldn't do it.  I did seem to be even more sweaty than usual (my shoes were squishy because I was sweating so much :cry:) but I had been drinking and didn't feel like I was super dehydrated.  Again, WTF?

I did eventually make it home and got a shower and slept for a while and now I'm feeling mostly ok.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-16 11:12 AM
It's happened to me. I figured it was partially dehydration but more in the need of electrolytes/salt as this was before I ran with Nuun in my water or if I'd been low on salt intake in general day to day living (I need more due to low BP). Glad you are feeling better now. Weird on the missing/wanted lady. Hope you figure it out. Can you check local website or whatever for info?
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-16 2:10 PM
I carry Gatorade and usually refill one bottle with water and generally prefer salty foods to sweets, but I also sweat enough when running that I know it's well nigh impossible that I'm not at least somewhat dehydrated.

I checked to see if I could find anything, but the county paper is bi-weekly so it's unlikely they'd publish anything until Wednesday.  Apparently whatever happened wasn't big enough news for the big city news sources to notice.
Parent - By AmyDel Date 2017-07-16 12:03 PM
wow - that was exciting - geez! 
sorry about the bonk - - Summer in the South is just brutal, any way you slice it.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-16 12:07 PM
Uh...I hope the woman in question is all right. :shocker!:

Re: the dizziness, I have had it happen before. Usually just before I came down sick with something. But it also happened a few times as an early sign of the overtraining. I hope neither state applies to your case, and that you were just overheated or dehydrated.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-16 2:06 PM
I hope so, too, but I really can't figure out what was going on.  The only thing I can think of is perhaps a "domestic" situation of some sort.

I hope I'm not getting sick or overtraining.  Those seem like bad options. : pbbt:  I'm running 25-35mpw, which hardly seems like too much.  I'm hoping that perhaps the lack of sleep messed with everything else.
Parent - - By AmyDel Date 2017-07-16 12:02 PM
Poking my head in again to see how everyone is - I've been running sporadically, at best, but trying to get back to a routine b/c I've gained too much weight. I'm running in altars now - with my orthotic inserts b/c I'm petrified of a PF flare up.
The divorce will be final soon, so I suppose  I'll have to come up with a new screen name.  : pbbt:
I've got about another year of school, and then I'll have to start my BSN program - which will be another year on top of the year I have ahead to get my RN.  I love nursing - but boy, is it time consuming. 
Some of you may recall that I was dating a fella after my separation for a couple of years - that didn't work out, so I'm on my own again.(that was more painful than my divorce :cry: )  MrDel is still with his girlfriend, and still as charming as ever.:roll:  He came back to the states to sign the papers, saw the kids for a few meals and shopping, but has largely dropped out of sight again.
Anyway - I ran/walked 5 miles in about 58 mins this am - gotta start somewhere.  :)
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-16 1:59 PM
Hey Amy, great to hear from you!

No surprise that MrDel is still an ass. :roll:  I'm sorry that things didn't work out with the guy you were dating. :sad:

I'm glad to hear that school is progressing but yes, it does seem to take for-fricking-ever.  How are the kids doing?
Parent - - By AmyDel Date 2017-07-16 3:02 PM
kids are okay for the most part - my middle one is living with friends for the most part - thank God - this means that she's not cursing and yelling and scaring my little ones...and not kicking new holes in the wall or kicking doors down :roll:... however I'm almost sure she's using stuff stronger than pot.  :meh:   I have done everything I can for this child, and now I think she has to learn things on her own.   It's awful and rough, but I can't do any more.
As for the fella -  I loved him fiercely, but he never wanted people to know we were "dating" - never said we were dating - it killed me.  I loved him and would have done anything for him, but in the end, I just couldn't  be content being a f--- buddy.   After so long, it was painful.  I really think he has another woman or two he was stringing along  His son's best friends mom is a single mom too - and he never wanted us to meet  - it "just never worked out" - I guess I was a side piece.   I was so ready to fall for someone, to have someone listen to me, to love me, that I fell for crumbs.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-16 5:09 PM
Oh man, I'm sorry that things with the middle one are so rough. :cry:  I hope she finds her way soon!

:mutmad: to the fella.  You deserve someone who cares about you and wants to date you! :hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-16 6:57 PM
AmyDel, congrats on entry into the BSN program. Wishing you luck! It is hard and takes a lot of effort, but you are so smart and dedicated, I know you will thrive.

RE: the boyfriend, oh, honey...I was dating after my separation and yes, heartbreak hurts SO MUCH when you finally bring yourself to get invested in someone else again after your marriage dissolves. Giant hugs, and sending you salve for your poor heart. You deserve better. <3

Cheers on the Altras; I like mine a lot. I am currently wearing my usual Sauconys while recovering from the ACL replacement, but intend to get back to the Altras once the knee is solid again.
Parent - By AmyDel Date 2017-07-17 7:37 AM
oh my Lord, Zip - - agony.  I loved him and it was torture.  I still do love him.  Ending my marriage was easier b/c by the time the end rolled around, we couldn't stand each other.  Being dumped when you still love someone like crazy is horrible.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-07-16 7:16 PM
Great to see you again on the thread! :hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-16 9:35 PM
Beginning is no problem. At least you are out there.

Sorry the guy did not work out.

Do what you need to do for yourself.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-18 10:57 AM
(late to the game but Hi!!!)
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-16 7:16 PM
T-bone ran with me today! Running is not his thing, since he is 6'6" and has also had spinal fusion, and really kind of dislikes it anyway. And one of his hips and ankles is a bit out of joint because of compensation for the spinal issues. Normally, he could not keep up with me while running, but since I am going so slowly currently, and doing short intervals, he agreed to come with me. We had a nice run through the local park in beautiful weather. And I love him even more for even being willing to try accompanying me.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-17 4:58 PM
:grin:  He's a keeper!
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-17 8:38 AM
5K + extra on Saturday.  Late night 3 on Sunday.

Saturday was the 20th anniversary of the race at which I set my 22 min PR ages ago.   ( you know, when dinosaurs roamed the earth...)  I've done it several times in the past, and while my times have always declined, I've always managed to place top 10 AG.

This year, (a) I was being a cheap bastard and didn't want to pay the fee and tolls to get there and (b) if I'm honest, I didn't want to race because I didn't think I could place top 10.

As it turns out, I ran a 5K course in my own neighborhood and would have placed 7th AG if I had actually done the race.  : pbbt:

So my honor is safe, and I saved 50 bucks.  :laugh:

Next weekend i'm entered in a race for Sunday.  It's a small, local thing so I'll have a true time test to benchmark.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Saturday/Sunday weekend wanderings RR/NRR