Hi! I posted this on the OTHER forum in the treadmill section, but have not gotten any responses so I thought I'd bring it over here...though, since it's an unusual question, not sure if anyone will have any thoughts??
My TM generates a lot of static electricity which makes it so that I shock myself every time I touch the unit, and if I touch the Heart Rate receptors, the electronic display goes bonkers. I read that this is pretty common and is generally mitigated by grounding the machine even if the outlet to which the machine is connected is already grounded (which it is).
Any thoughts on how to do this? I have been looking at something called "static tinsel" which is used in various shops and factories where there is a lot of machinery -- but have no idea how this would work or even how to connect it to my TM.
The other day, DH came down while I was running and asked me why my hair was standing straight up!!!!
2007-02-04 10:57 AM
2007-02-04 11:03 AM
I have no suggestions for you, but I have the exact same problem. I just find I have to touch the rails every few minutes so that I only get a bunch of little shocks instead of the one giant one. I'm glad it's not just me! (DH never has this problem, so I though I was just some super static-emitting force ;) )
i so hate this. I have to just remember to touch the rails and get it over with. I don't understand why this isn't a problem for everybody. I've had people next to me who get on, run, get off and never have the first spark. Me, I'm sparking every few minutes.
2007-02-04 11:14 AM
I saw somewhere that changing shoes affected the amount of static electricity produced. Maybe it didn't change the amount produced so much as the sole material had better grounding properties.
ahhhh...that's interesting. Thanks!
Yeah -- I think I read that too. Something about the fact that while the machine is well grounded, sometimes the runner is not grounding to the machine properly. I've tried 3 different brands and have the problem with all three...:(
2007-02-04 11:11 AM
It looks like the Treadmill Dr. has your tinsel. I would think it would come with instructions.Treadmill Tinsel
2007-02-04 11:23 AM
By the way, I've never had that problem on our treadmill. But I can walk around the house and go to turn on a light and I get zapped as I get close to the screw by the switch.
Maybe I don't run fast enough to build up any static electricity!
wrong on that last statement. I'm not that fast.
OH! Welcome to the forum. I see you got your login and password fixed.
2007-02-04 11:34 AM
Thanks. Mut took care of me
Rob -- you are just ELECTRIC -- those damned static ions can't catch you when you're running!
2007-02-04 1:02 PM
Nah, I'm just well grounded.
how about a roundabout solution to the problem. Increase the room humidity, it can sometimes cut back on the generation of static.
Is the air pretty dry in your house with the winter(<40% humidity?)
Try stickin a humidifier in the room for a while see if that helps.
Hey, Alex -- I already have a humidifier down there, though it is admittedly just an air mist one. It seems to have alleviated the problem, but I think the space is just generally very dry. Right now, the humidity gauge reads about 50%+. Is that considered dry?
Ah well that was my bright idea of the night.
no 50% isnt bad, anything over 45 is supposed to be good.
2007-02-04 9:45 PM
2007-02-04 9:47 PM
Awww, it WAS a bright idea!!! :D :D :D
BTW, NICE MILEAGE this week!!! Rock on!
I have this static problem in general during winter - I probably get shocked at least 10 times a day!
This might not be feasible for you, but I discharge the static by first picking up my keys and touching the key to whatever metal object will zap me (you'll see a spark traveling between the end of the key and the metal object, not your finger). Perhaps you can keep your keys in the TM cupholder?
2007-02-05 9:47 AM
Just a quick update on this since a few folks seem to have the same problem. I did a few things that seem to have alleviated the problem.
The first is that, as mentioned previously, I put a humidifier in the area and religiously fill it to ensure that the area is not excessively dry. The second, is that I plugged the machine into a dedicated surge protector in a different outlet -- not sure if maybe the other surge protector was not allowing the machine to ground properly. The last thing is that I bought a new machine floor mat -- rubberized. It stank the first few days it was down there, but the static is decreased significantly.
Just thought I'd share for those of you who indicated that you were having the same problem on your home machines.
2007-02-15 10:51 AM
Thank you for your patronage
Powered by mwForum © 1999-2015 Markus Wichitill