Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Nutrition / A surprisingly awesome low-cal-low-fat vegan "cheese sauce"
- - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2008-01-27 1:48 PM
I got Veganomicon, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero and made their "Cheezy Sauce," which I poured over macaroni.  I can't believe how good it was.  It sounds weird if you just look at the ingredients, but it was great. 

This recipe makes 3 cups of cheezy sauce:

2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
several pinches ground black pepper
1/8 tsp turmeric
3/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard (I used dijon)

Dissolve the flour in the water/broth.  Cook the garlic in the oil for about 2 minutes, try not to burn -- add the thyme, salt and pepper.  Add the flour/broth mixture and the nutritional yeast as well as the turmeric.  Raise the heat to medium or hot enough for the mixture to start bubbling -- let cook like that (and stir) for a couple of minutes.  Add the lemon juice and the mustard. 

I really enjoyed this recipe.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2008-01-27 4:21 PM
Where would I get nutritional yeast?  I'm assuming it's different that the yeast you use for making bread.
Parent - - By jvalentine Date 2008-01-27 5:24 PM
It is definitely different.  You typically get it in the bulk aisle at Whole Foods, but might also find it with the "different" flours (soy flour, oat flour, etc.) if your store carries such things.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2008-01-27 6:12 PM
I'd want to find it in bulk since I doubt I'd use it for anything else.  I'm not vegan (or even vegetarian for that matter), but Danni has a good knack for knowing stuff I'd like. 
Parent - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2008-01-27 6:24 PM
Yeah I'm sure they have it at Whole Paycheck and maybe Trader Joes.  It's yellowish in color and good on popcorn too.  I'm not sure what makes it "nutritional yeast." 
Parent - By Dana (Batshit Crazy) Date 2008-01-28 8:18 PM
danni--I knew as soon as I saw it what it was that you were so excited about! Can't wait to try it...thanks for this
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2008-01-30 5:41 PM
Interesting.  Mrs. Jake has that cookbook -- maybe it would be good on nachos for a super bowl snack?  :wtf:
Parent - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2008-01-30 6:05 PM
The author recommends using it for nachos.  I have eaten it on pasta and veg
Parent - - By Dana (Batshit Crazy) Date 2008-02-17 5:10 PM Edited 2008-02-17 5:38 PM
HOLY CRAP!!! this stuff kicked ass!!! I realized after I started making it that I only had ww flour, but it was fine. I ate this with ww pasta spirals and broccoli, but it has possibilities for sure--I am even thinking adding dill would be good. It's like a cross between cheese sauce and hollandaise sauce. I will probably make it and always have some on hand. thank you so much for sharing this.

ETA: I had a beer and spaced adding the lemon and mustard, and it still came out ok
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2008-02-17 6:15 PM
Yeah I think you can add everything more or less whenever and it will turn out.  You're right, it's between cheese sauce and hollandaise sauce -- it would work well for benedict (of course if it were vegan you'd have to use tofu rather than poached eggs :p)
Parent - By Dana (Batshit Crazy) Date 2008-02-17 7:19 PM
I was thinking asparagus or maybe some grilled fish (which I eat)
Parent - By Dana (Batshit Crazy) Date 2008-07-11 7:42 PM
Bump
Parent - By Morticia Date 2008-07-16 10:28 AM
I bought Veganomicon last week.  LOVE this book.  :cool:
Parent - - By greenie (Pea counting punk) [us] Date 2008-07-21 6:49 AM
:meh:
Parent - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2008-07-21 8:31 AM
I bet you would love it.  Maybe I'll bring some when I'm in SF :mischief:
Parent - - By mrs.adamneh Date 2008-07-29 8:31 PM
Where do you find nutritional yeast flakes??  And have you use regular mustard instead of dijon??
Parent - By Morticia Date 2008-07-29 8:57 PM
You can find nutritional yeast at Whole Foods (in the bulk section), and I think, Trader Joe's.  :grin:
Parent - By Dana (Batshit Crazy) Date 2008-07-29 10:54 PM
I completely forgot to add the mustard altogether and it was fine, so I'm guessing either would be fine. I recommend buying a lot of nutritional yeast because this recipe made me wish I'd made a lot more.
Parent - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2008-07-30 8:42 AM
I'm sure you could use any mustard.  Bob's Mills makes nutritional yeast too I think. . . Red Star does?
Parent - - By D3 [us] Date 2012-09-16 12:38 AM
Bump to save post (post save!) ;)
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2012-09-17 8:08 PM
Yeah!
Parent - By D3 [us] Date 2012-09-19 7:58 PM
I'm headin to the health food store tomorrow to get me some fixins. Love this stuff. :cool:
Parent - - By D3 [us] Date 2012-11-07 6:32 PM
I just made this-- was out of tumeric and subbed curry power...still amazing. Thanks again, Danni--I really love this recipe!
Parent - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2012-11-11 5:53 PM
I love it too.  I no longer bother adding flour.
Up Topic General / Nutrition / A surprisingly awesome low-cal-low-fat vegan "cheese sauce"